Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2005, 04:12 PM   #1

Muffler by-pass pipes

Anyone have these on their Boxster and what's your experience? Went to www.fabspeed.com and clicked on videos of 996's and 997's with by-pass pipes and they sound awesome.

Factory side skirts
18" turbo look wheels
Painted roll bars and centre console
Alumimum shifter and handbrakes
Litronic lights
B&M short shifter
Evo air intake
Turbo look bumper with C4S lip
Borla muffler
2nd Cat bypass pipes
nastyboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 10:47 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
I am also interested in doing the cat bypass. Anyone with information would be very helpful. Thanks
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 01:46 PM   #3

This is next on my list also and have been asking around about the pros and cons. Almost unanimous that you will not get a CEL warning. At least on an '00 as there is only one set of O2 sensors that are on the factory header. I think that the bypass is worth doing when done in conjunction with intake, chipping, and either headers or high flow exhaust.

I am wondering though if just breaking the material out of the rear cat with a steel rod or some such device wouldn't accomplish the same thing and its free. I have done this on other performance cars I have owned with no adverse consequences. I see no harm in trying and if it doesn't work out for whatever reason then spend the $500. Has anyone tried this?
steve00s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 02:55 PM   #4

I was listening to the muffler by-pass pipes(no muffler at all) rather than the 2n cat bypass. The 2n cat bypass is on my list, but instead of spending $500US, I was thinking about going to this custom muffler/pipe shop and they can probably make me one for a fraction of the cost.

Getting back to the muffler, anyone try to by-pass the muffler altogether? The 997's and 996's with the passpass sounds like a 360 Modena on steriods. (Go to www.fabspeed.com and then click on either 996 or 997 and find the video with muffler by-pass pipes.)

I love my car, but it would be nice if it can sound meaner without spending $1000 on a GHL or B&B muffler. The Boxster is actually one of the quietest if not the quietest Porsche right now. I 'm speculating, but bypassing the muffler may make the car sound like a 997 with an aftermarket muffler.

Comments?
Factory side skirts
18" turbo look wheels
Painted roll bars and centre console
Alumimum shifter and handbrakes
Litronic lights
B&M short shifter
Evo air intake
Turbo look bumper with C4S lip
Borla muffler
2nd Cat bypass pipes
nastyboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 04:24 PM   #5
bmussatti

I listened to many of those audio clips, and they do sound great. My only concern would be the fact that the extra sound would get kinda old after a while. Especially on a long trip.

That's why I like the Sport Exhaust option offered on the Carrera, because you can turn it on or off. It's just not offered for the Boxster...yet.