Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2005, 08:56 PM   #1

Lack of 987 aftermarket support

So wow, it's been almost a year since the car's introduction and I have yet to see any viable aftermarket for the 987. Is this common for Porsche or does the aftermarket just really ignore Boxsters for a number of years? Seems like the 997 got a bunch of parts almost immediately!

Not that I really want to trick out the 987--maybe an intake, maybe an exhaust. I'd still like to see some parts though!

eslai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 10:03 PM   #2

The 997 was lauched 6 mo before the 987. Give it some time.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 05:12 AM   #3
bmussatti

eslai, there was a great post a couple days ago from nastyboxster regarding the muffle by-pass pipes for the 987. The thread is in the "Performance Talk" area of the forum. Check it out. The audio clips are awesome!
Old 10-27-2005, 05:35 AM   #4

I don't think total sales have been enough to have a huge aftermarket market yet. Not only that, I assume it takes a while to develop and retool the manufacturing plants. The only item I am waiting for is a way to hardwire a MP3.
RC-12 Guardrail
RC-7 Crazy Hawk

"If the wings are traveling faster than
the fuselage, it's probably a helicopter--
and therefore, unsafe" --Unknown
Rail26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 01:18 PM   #5

Re: "Give it some time"

No really, the 997 started getting parts REALLY fast! I'm surprised it's taking so long for the 987.

Re: "eslai, there was a great post a couple days ago from nastyboxster regarding the muffle by-pass pipes for the 987."

Right, those are the fabspeed pipes, and that's like the only thing I've seen so far. However, their construction is lacking, IMHO and I'm hesitant to consider them a viable option. It also doesn't help that they never returned my email inquiry.

Re: "The only item I am waiting for is a way to hardwire a MP3."

Yeah, same here. I've been bugging Dension to get their MOST Bus version out but they're taking their sweet-ass time!
Old 10-27-2005, 01:42 PM   #6
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by eslai

However, their construction is lacking, IMHO and I'm hesitant to consider them a viable option. It also doesn't help that they never returned my email inquiry.

Eslai, what is "lacking" about the construction of Fabspeed? Please elaborate. Thanks.
Old 10-28-2005, 12:30 PM   #7

The fabspeed muffler is way too pricey for what it is. It looks like it was cobbled together out of off-the-shelf parts, and the tip is less-than-desireable in construction as well. It's a nice first attempt, but it doesn't look like a lot of research has gone into it. For $2000, no thanks.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:36 PM   #8

2k for bypass pipes? That is rediculous. I think the ones for the 986 only cost 700 or so.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 03:55 PM   #9

Generally speaking, I think aftermarket vendors try to rip Porsche owners. There are some exceptions, like quick shift kits and the like.

I assume that they assume we have tons of dough.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 04:55 PM   #10
bmussatti

For clarity:

1) The Fabspeed bypass pipes (986 2000-2004) are $495
2) The Fabspeed Sport Exhaust System for the 987 is $1,495

I did not see anything for $2K.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:07 PM   #11

The fabspeed 987 muffler/secondary cat delete is $1495. The fabspeed tips are $425. That's where I was getting the $2000 from.
Old 10-29-2005, 11:33 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Generally speaking, I think aftermarket vendors try to rip Porsche owners. There are some exceptions, like quick shift kits and the like.

I assume that they assume we have tons of dough.

Bingo!! $$$$$$ that's what it's all about.

997s are much more expensive so most owners have much more money. It's hard for a middle class guy to justify spending such a high percentage of his income on a car. Since most owners have a good bit of exter $$$ they can afford to pay someone else to put aftermarket mods on so more are done.

The Boxster, however, is more affordable and about the same price as an SUV these days. A middle class guy can justify paying the price of the car because it's not such a huge percentage of his income, but it's still a large amount. Once he has the car, he usually doesn't have a ton of $$$ to put into aftermarket stuff, especially if he has to pay someone to do it.

Finally, the Boxster is still relatively new. The older models have tons of aftermarket stuff because they have 3rd and 4th owners. They paid 1/3-1/4 of the original cost of the car (unless it's a 928, then it's 1/10th). Those owners didn't "blow the whole wad" on buying the car and are more likely to do mods themselves so they don't need tons of money to do it.

Just a theory.

1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote