Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2005, 11:22 PM   #1

EVO Intake Install ???'s

I began installation of an EVO Intake kit tonight and am dreading the thought of removing the intake manifold in order to extract the OEM air filter box. Can the box just be cut out or do you need the room to install the new cone filter?

steve00s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 02:03 PM   #2

Evo............

Steve,

Did it myself as well. What a chore. Long and short is that my mechanic would have taken as long. Remove the clamp between the intake and also the one attached to the engine just past the throttle body. You need to remove this piece in btwn to give you room to move around and get the intake out. Ensure you remove the MAF sensor from the existing tube just after the existing intake & install into the new intake tube provided by Evo. Remove the 3 screws on the existing intake. 2 on top and there is one under the car. You will need a jack and get under the car to do this. You also have to desnkorkel by opening the left intake vent. You will see the snorkel (plastic tube) Push it up down, left, right until it snaps off. Now the existing intake shld move freely. To get it out requires some Yoga. It is a SOB to get out and requires some force. This was the hardest part. Once past this you are home free to go ahead and install which is a piece of cake compared to the removal of the existing intake.
WillieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 02:25 PM   #3

I agree that this is a bear to install. The hardest part of my install was getting the snorkle separated from the airbox. Mine was ceased on there. I ended up from the bottom cutting the snorkle tube off. Then I also had to cut the airbox in various places to get it out from the side of the intake. Luckily we had air tools available and long blades to go in tight places. Additionally difficult was re-attaching the intake tube to the center tube between the intake manifolds. After a long morning of leaning over the car and constantly checking the covers to make sure not to scratch it, the last long battle was with the intake tube!

All in all, it was well worth it and you will love the improvement with the first open throttle romp.

Best of luck,
Joe
01 S
Triple Black
AUDIOGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 04:08 PM   #4

Thanks a bunch for the insights. Actual experience is worth a bookful of instructions. One last question, is the bolt under the airbox easily accessible from underneath the car? In other words, do I need to remove anything under the car to get at that bolt? The de-snorkeling actually went very easy. The trick was to give it a sharp upward push which broke a little bit of the tab off and it came right out.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve00s
I began installation of an EVO Intake kit tonight and am dreading the thought of removing the intake manifold in order to extract the OEM air filter box. Can the box just be cut out or do you need the room to install the new cone filter?
Sorry to break this on you but if you haven't already done it, don't do it. I experienced bhp/torque loss throughout most rpm except at the very top end. Check out my post Dyno Report : Evo Highflow Intake Kit on Boxster S

It is a real PITA to get the stock airbox out and double PITA to get it back in again. But labour where I stay is relatively cheap compared to what you guys pay so I got my mechanic to put it back again. Yes, it took 3/4 of a day to get that thing back in. They had to lower the gearbox or something like that.

I missed the deep induction tone but what the hell, I'm getting more usable power and torque and that's what matters right? I've yet to dyno the car with the stock piping though. BTW, I'm using the BMC panel filter.
clubhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 08:05 AM   #6

I agree that single mods by themselves sometimes do not have the desired effect but I'm coupling this with exhaust modifications (2nd cat bypass, sport muffler) and ECU re-mapping so I'm am fairly confident that I'll see a net gain in HP. I've talked to several local Porsche shops about the outcome of these changes and they have had many happy customers. Granted they make a living off of selling this stuff but they are also some the nicest people I have dealt with over the years and they are very passionate and knowledgable about Porsche. Only time will tell if I'm doing the right thing but with half saying yeah and half saying nay I'll just have to find out for myself. Again, thanks for your insights.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:56 PM   #7

Unhappy

Steve,
Completed the change 2 weeks ago and everyone is correct,,,,,it was more of a job than you think. However, the effort was well worth the challenge. I did get immediate pedal response thoughout the rpm range.
With regards to another that may have experienced a drop in performance, this may be attributed to the system recalibrating for the change. I did notice that the first time I started my car, there was some hi and low revs while the system adjusted to the change.
I have been very please with the results and will do the muffler change soon.
mccarrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 09:35 PM   #8

Wink Evo....................................

Steve,

To answer your question, no, you do not have to drop the engine. It is a tight spot but accessible if the car is jacked up. Better if it is hoisted. I do swear that this part took the longest due to it being so tight. Maybe if you have the right tools/socket wrench to get in there to take it out, it would be easier.

I saw no decrease in power but rather a better sound and more power in the higher RPM range. She seems more lively. Then I added a GHL exhaust and now she is sounding really nice IMHO.

Anyway, good luck with the install.
Old 10-28-2005, 08:54 AM   #9

To my great relief and statisfaction I finished the install last night. Lessons learned: I decided not to remove the intake manifold and just cut the OEM airbox out. It is make of very brittle plastic and with the combination of large pruning shears and a pair of large pliers I made short work of it by cutting and snapping the plastic a little at a time. I thought about using a sawzall but didn't want shaving in the compartment.

I did remove the bolt underneath before cutting so I could move the box around a little to get a better angle on some of the cuts. There are actually two bolts underneath. One in the middle which holds the box on and is pretty easily accessable from underneath. I had no trouble getting a wrench up there. There is a second bolt closer to the firewall that is used to secure the new heat shield but that can be removed after removing the old airbox.

Connecting the new air tube together with the rubber couplers was a struggle. The instructions said to connect the short tube to the throttle body, then insert the longer tube in the heat shield, and then connect the tubes together. I could not connect them together with so little space to work. I had to piece it all together and then fish it in. It could be done the other way but takes some pretty strong hands. Heating the rubber in hot water may have helped but the other way worked.

The de-snorkeling went easier than expected. If you just pull on it you'll never get it. Even wiggling it back and forth didn't help. I good hard tug upward and then to the side broke a small piece of the tab off and it came right out.

I went for a quick test drive before putting the engine cover back on and I could not believe the incredible roar at 6500 RPM just a foot behind you. It was absolutely mind blowing. There is no doubt this car is race breed.

Last edited by steve00s; 10-28-2005 at 12:46 PM.
Old 10-28-2005, 05:27 PM   #10

Talking Congrats! Glad.......................

you were able to figure it out Steve. Glad you love the sound. Makes you want to drive it more and more. Took me 6 hrs to do myself. Enjoy!!!