Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2005, 08:27 PM   #1

What other performance cars do you own?

After dabbling the last few years in the world of Vipers, I have finally gone back to my first 'love' and sports car ~ you guessed it ~ the Boxster. My S should be here in a couple of days.

I have reasonable expectations for the car and will never expect it to compete with my 500hp SRT. I have learned from reading this board, that the 986 does not take well to mods.

My question, is what other performance cars do you own and are there any mods that I can do, in an effort to bridge the delta between the two cars? Again, expectations are reasonable. I'll save you some typing, as I have not enjoyed the looks of the 996/7.

Thanks in advance.

RavenFan_94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 09:20 PM   #2
Lux

Bridge the gap between the 2 cars??? You're joking right?

Nothing short of putting in a motor from the 911 Turbo would even begin to bridge the gap. I'm being serious. A good friend of mine use to own the 1st gen Viper (a lot less power than the SRT-10). I've driven it quite a few times and there's nothing that will make the Box S feel the same as far as accelaration is concerned. The Viper has so much torque that it feels like taking off in a jet.

Handling, braking and driving feel is where the Box shines. I don't know about the SRT but the 1st gen Vipers handled like ****************, had no ABS, and was generally a rough car. I love Vipers but it's just too much for street use. So in my mind, the 2 cars are very different. Enjoy them for what they are.

Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 10:08 PM   #3

Not a car, but I own a 2004 Suzuki GSX-R 600...and if I want acceleration kicks, I get it from there.
Morelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 05:37 AM   #4

Talking

Yes, since most competent motorcycles run in the 10s and 11s, that is the way to go really really fast in a short time frame.

Love my Buell for that purpose.

I just sold a ZR-1 that was very quick indeed. 185 MPH plus.

Modded to 400 plus HP.

Nice!
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 06:41 AM   #5

You want to bridge the pefermance between the viper and the bosx S? there are two ways to do this. One is to drop in the 3.8L 350hp engine from the 987 S or if you want to retain the stock engine this will give you max gains. Not for the faint of heart. 390 hp on stock internals or 450hp if you want to go all the way.
http://www.t-t-p.de/english/986.php
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 08:22 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Subanez
I believe you meant the 3.8 L from the new Carrera S (997 S) not the 987 S.

Just clarifying! Not sure the 3.8 would fit in there, though I've seen a couple of 3.6 liter conversions in the boxster.

Good luck!

"I ran until my muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid. And then I ran some more." -Fight Club
Subanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 08:36 AM   #7

One word HAYABUSA!!! I would get rid of the Porsche before that bike.
Automon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 08:49 AM   #8

Send a message via MSN to ntmatter
I sold my Viper GTS and bought a 01 Boxster last weekend, and I have a Kawasaki 636 sport bike. The Viper was built, around 500 HP and 650 torque at the wheels. You're never going to bridge that much grunt to a 220 HP Boxster, but almost nothing will, really. The Boxster isn't, and never will be, a muscle car.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:53 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subanez
I believe you meant the 3.8 L from the new Carrera S (997 S) not the 987 S.

Just clarifying! Not sure the 3.8 would fit in there, though I've seen a couple of 3.6 liter conversions in the boxster.

Good luck!

opps, ya meant 997 S. I don't see why the 3.8L wouldn't fit. It just a 3.6L bored out to 3.8L.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:25 AM   #10

Thanks for the great responses

I appreciate the feedback. No, I don't expect to get SRT performance from a boxster. Just wanted to help the S car a bit.
RavenFan_94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 01:32 AM   #11

Liberate the ECU I say and post a dyno report! But I know you're not going to try that on your BRAND new car
clubhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 01:34 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
...if you want to retain the stock engine this will give you max gains. Not for the faint of heart. 390 hp on stock internals or 450hp if you want to go all the way.
http://www.t-t-p.de/english/986.php
Anyone knows anyone who has gone down the ttp route? Cost of the 450bhp upgrade is almost like buying another Boxster though....
clubhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2005, 06:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhead
Anyone knows anyone who has gone down the ttp route? Cost of the 450bhp upgrade is almost like buying another Boxster though....
lol, yeah I know, but a 450hp boxster would be so money. Think of it this way, it has performance on par with a 180k Gt2 so it's a bargin!
Old 03-15-2005, 09:25 AM   #14

Mazda Miata: the ultimate Chick Car!

that car is the best car to learn peformance driving with. If I did even even 1/4 of the things that I tried with the Miata in car with some real power, I would be dead. Lowered and tighlty dampened, nothing but the elise can corner like that at 50mph withou spending a guy's annual salary.

oh wait...the Lotus Elise is a guy's annual salary! 1.8 engine for 50K? forget it...

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 09:59 AM   #15

1998 Porsche Boxster
1984 911 Carrera
2000 Mercedes SLK 230 Kompressor
2005 BMW 745 Li
Old 08-10-2005, 10:49 AM   #16

That's an impressive list of cars. How do you figure out which one to drive? Number of passengers? Weather? Color-coded calendar?

I drove my Lexus LS400 (MY95) today and really enjoyed the near-silent operation of the car, engine, tires on rough pavement and blocking of outside sounds. A completely different driving experience versus my top-down boxster. It's like driving your easy chair to work or something along those lines. No effort at all. After 10 years on the road, this car still works the way it should work.

I bet you feel that way about your 745Li... I've driven one and absolutely loved it. The wife thought it was too big though and wants a 545 or 530... no complaints from me if we really get a BMW. Good driving machine for a sedan.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 12:06 PM   #17

The new C6 would be right in the middle. With great acceleration and braking power.... Now if the interiors looked good.

My next might just be the new Z06 C6 best bang for the buck there is.

Till then I am working on a project of making the 2000 S I have meet or exceed 400+WHP.

Good Luck
JP-s-in st. louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 05:22 PM   #18

Talking

Well iv'e got a 2001 S meridian silver. I had to lower it cause i also have a WRX thats been lowered,chipped,exhaust, shocks and it kills the boxster. Also have an Yamaha R1 and it kills the wrx. But there all fun in different ways. However there is currently a Gemballa Boxster for sale in australia for $185k thats got 375kw ( 3.6Ltr bi-turbo ) i want it !!!!!!!!!!!
civic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 05:42 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic
Well iv'e got a 2001 S meridian silver. I had to lower it cause i also have a WRX thats been lowered,chipped,exhaust, shocks and it kills the boxster. Also have an Yamaha R1 and it kills the wrx. But there all fun in different ways. However there is currently a Gemballa Boxster for sale in australia for $185k thats got 375kw ( 3.6Ltr bi-turbo ) i want it !!!!!!!!!!!
Normal WRK or STI? and when you say kill is that from dig, corners, etc.? I have raced both and can stay with the STI (w/exhaust) from a 30-40mph roll.
JP-s-in st. louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 12:02 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP-s-in st. louis
Normal WRK or STI? and when you say kill is that from dig, corners, etc.? I have raced both and can stay with the STI (w/exhaust) from a 30-40mph roll.
The WRX has 170kw at all wheels. i have to say i was really disapointed with the boxster handling. every review said how great is was and i was expecting it to feel better than the wrx. The wrx is not standard so? however the wrx costs 50k with mods and the boxster new would be 145k. i put H&R springs in boxy to lower him 3cm and its better. just scrape on everything!!!! Porsche mechanic said the boxsters wallow a bit as there is some flex with no roof? To keep up with the wrx in a straight line you need to reallllly flog the porsche and as its my new baby it aint happening yet. Can't be roof down driving though so i forgive it...oh yeah porsches look better!!

civic is offline   Reply With Quote