Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2005, 02:01 PM   #1

Unhappy Hard Starting?

Hello!

I just got a '97 Boxster w/ 37000 miles. The car runs great, but have had a few problems. My current issue is this, if I go to start the in the morning when it is cold, it starts fine. If the car has been running and then you turn it off then go to start it a few minutes later it starts fine as well. But is you let the car sit for a hour or two it has a very hard time starting. It takes 3-4 times before it will start. I've taken it to my local mechanic and they put a new fuel regulator in it and it didn't help. They have check for vaccum leaks, checked the fuel pump, CEL isn't on. The car has had it 30000 mile service. I also had a new mass air flow put in (that was for another problem). Any ideas, I've read about fuel pump relays going bad? Any thoughts would be appreciated. By the way, where is the fuel pump relay?

Thanks! Love the site!

Footdoc911

footdoc911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 11:46 AM   #2

Fuel pump relay: http://www.theschillings.com/boxrelay.htm

It's in the relay panel that's just above the fuse box.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 12:00 PM   #3

Thanks!

I'm going to try that first and maybe the DME relay as well. I hope it works. I'll let ya'll know. I would love some more input.

Appreciate the help!
Footdoc911
Old 10-12-2005, 06:43 AM   #4

What about the plugs? Have they ever been changed? Even though it's relatively low mileage, if they are original, they are 8 years old.

Also, each plug has its' own coil. When it's warm and you have a hard time starting, does it run well or feel like it's dragging a little? If it drags, you may have A bad coil or plug wire conecting to the coil.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 09:21 AM   #5

Thanks for the reply! The car runs awesome, once you start it. I believe it has new plugs.
Old 10-14-2005, 10:10 AM   #6

Smile I think its fixed!?

I e-mailed a guy at Pelican Parts a one page dissertation as to what was going on about my car. 1 day later he replies, check valve in fuel pump is out. I kind of dismissed this and went about my daily routine. 20 minutes later my mechanic calls me and tells me he thinks one of the check valves is out on the fuel pump, so we put a new fuel pump. It seems, so far, as if this might have fixed the problem! Everyone keep there fingers crossed!!

Thanks

Footdoc911