Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2005, 09:36 AM   #1

The stereo & iPod question again....

My 2000 Red is arriving this afternoon. Been looking for a long time (years), and finally made the leap to treat myself. I'm pretty excited, and cannot wait to thrash it out this weekend.

But as a muso junkie, one of the first things I need to do is get the IPOD connection going. The i-Trip is a waste of time for downtown Houston living with so much radio interference. Hence, I want to do the "plug in the back" of the CDR 220. However, there is a catch - I have a mult-disk CD played in the trunk. I saw a posting from here that had instructions on how to manage both.

So, can I have the best of both worlds, or do I need to lose the multidisk CD player in favour of iPod?

Sincerely,

Kiwi in Houston

kiwiinneworleans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 10:16 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwiinneworleans
My 2000 Red is arriving this afternoon. Been looking for a long time (years), and finally made the leap to treat myself. I'm pretty excited, and cannot wait to thrash it out this weekend.

But as a muso junkie, one of the first things I need to do is get the IPOD connection going. The i-Trip is a waste of time for downtown Houston living with so much radio interference. Hence, I want to do the "plug in the back" of the CDR 220. However, there is a catch - I have a mult-disk CD played in the trunk. I saw a posting from here that had instructions on how to manage both.

So, can I have the best of both worlds, or do I need to lose the multidisk CD player in favour of iPod?

Sincerely,

Kiwi in Houston
My understanding of such systems is that, yes, it's a one or the other situation.

I've been drooling over the Harman Kardon Drive+Play for a little while now. I'm going to talk to my dealer to see what it may cost me to have one installed.

Sure it's another interface all together and some extra stuff in the car but it seems like a pretty smart idea to me and it'll work alongside your CD changer.
berj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 11:38 AM   #3

Hey Kiwi, I'm in Houston too. We should meet up and compare cars and go for a drive.

Why not keep the CD changer and just buy an FM transmitter for your iPod? I'm not really familiar with these units, but that's cheap and works for you today.

You may want to save your $$$ for maintenance and repairs if you just got your Boxster... stereo upgrades are important, but not nearly as important as being able to actually drive the car.

BTW - If you like, I'm happy to go over all the stuff that seems to go out in our cars if you like. PM me if you are available this weekend.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 05:55 PM   #4

I have the Dension kit for the CDR-220. It is NOT an FM kit. It plugs into the CD changer input on the back of the stereo. Lets just say it works very well when it works. The installation instructions where horrible, and assumed that you knew to hook some miscellaneous wires up to random stuff. When I first got it in the mail half of the parts were missing and they had to send a second shipment with the rest of the stuff. After I got it all set, it works great. The radio buttons control the iPod and the disc buttons select which play list is being played. It was also fairly expensive. So if you got some extra cash and have mad car stereo install skills (which I don’t) check it out.

http://www.densionusa.com/main.htm

PS: I didnt have the CD changer to start with and I dont like FM transmitters

Last edited by QporscheQ; 10-12-2005 at 05:57 PM.
QporscheQ is offline   Reply With Quote