Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2005, 05:50 AM   #1

Do 986 wheels fit on a 987?

I am trying to find a set of wheels and snow tires to use this winter and am having some difficulties here. Can I just pick up an old set of 16’s or 17’s for the 986 from Ebay to suit my purposes?

I have (or will be taking possession of) an ’05 Boxster (non S) with the 18” S rims. :dance:

Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 01:56 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Kill
I am trying to find a set of wheels and snow tires to use this winter and am having some difficulties here. Can I just pick up an old set of 16’s or 17’s for the 986 from Ebay to suit my purposes?

I have (or will be taking possession of) an ’05 Boxster (non S) with the 18” S rims. :dance:

I have read on PCA.ORG that that is the route most people are taking with the 987 as far as wheels for winter. Do a search under the Tech Section of their site and see what u find.

If you are intrested i have a set of 17" 2001 Boxster wheels with Michelin tires on them for sale. Let me know if your interested.
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 05:44 AM   #3

Most Porsche wheels are interchangeable. I've used my Boxster wheels on the 928 to test for flat spots on my tires and they fit perfectly. I believe the stud distance is the same on all P-cars (except maybe the Cayenne, but no knowledge there).

The biggest thing you need to look for is the distance from the inside edge of the wheel where it meets the hub and the inside and outside of the rim. You don't want it to be too deep inside (hitting inside the wheel well) or too wide outside (hitting the outside edge of the wheel well). Just compare your wheel to the one you want to get. You also don't want the outside to be too shallow hitting the brake caliper.

Good luck in your search!
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 09:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by deliriousga
Most Porsche wheels are interchangeable. I've used my Boxster wheels on the 928 to test for flat spots on my tires and they fit perfectly. I believe the stud distance is the same on all P-cars (except maybe the Cayenne, but no knowledge there).

The biggest thing you need to look for is the distance from the inside edge of the wheel where it meets the hub and the inside and outside of the rim. You don't want it to be too deep inside (hitting inside the wheel well) or too wide outside (hitting the outside edge of the wheel well). Just compare your wheel to the one you want to get. You also don't want the outside to be too shallow hitting the brake caliper.

Good luck in your search!
Thank you, that is pretty helpful.
Old 10-12-2005, 09:22 AM   #5

Garage
Boxster style 17" will fit a 987...

according to my dealer. I recently traded a '99' for a 987--to be built this week--and had the same question. They took off the wheels on my old car and tried them on a 987 and said there were no clearance issues--everything fit fine.
MikenOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 09:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikenOH
according to my dealer. I recently traded a '99' for a 987--to be built this week--and had the same question. They took off the wheels on my old car and tried them on a 987 and said there were no clearance issues--everything fit fine.
interesting. which wheels did you have?
Old 10-12-2005, 11:26 AM   #7

Quote:
That should be the case with most later model (late '80s-present) Porsches that use the 8" wide rear wheels. Before then, most had 7" wide rears.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 05:11 PM   #8

Garage
17" Boxster style wheels

I'm sure you've seen them; there are lots of them for sale on Ebay. Not the best nor the worst looking Porsche wheel.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:36 PM   #9

Quote:
I'm sure you've seen them; there are lots of them for sale on Ebay. Not the best nor the worst looking Porsche wheel.
Yeah, I am fine with those - I am much more concerned with cheap than with style for my winter set.

Thanks for the help everyone. I will let you know what I wind up doing.

We are leaving tomorrow night - and pick up the car Friday - I cannot wait!!
Old 10-12-2005, 05:59 PM   #10

Garage
Let us know how it works--

I won't be seeing my car for at least 6 weeks and would appreciate feedback from someone that has driven the 987 with the 986 wheels. Have fun with it.
Old 10-24-2005, 12:30 PM   #11

Ack, according to my dealer and a sales rep from tirerack.com, the 986 wheels won't fit on my 987 - maybe they are wrong - anyway, I got a good deal from tirerack on a set of knockoff cup 3 wheels and conti winter sports. Hopefully get them this week.

Thanks everyone for your input and help.
Old 10-30-2005, 04:16 PM   #12
tmc

I'm curious why: is it the 5mm spacers needed in the rear?
The PCA Q&A said they would fit, but the rears would look a little funny.
tmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 04:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmc
I'm curious why: is it the 5mm spacers needed in the rear?
The PCA Q&A said they would fit, but the rears would look a little funny.
Good question. I don't know. The salesman didn't say why. I had heard so many different oppinions on whether it would work or not, I just decided it wasn't worth the savings and didn't bother with it.

If anyone does pull this off, I would be interested in hearing about the experience.