Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2012, 10:22 AM   #1
jakesbox

chirping noise - NOW WITH VIDEO

All

If anyone can give me any indication of what this noise is...I would appreciate it.

Toward the end of video - it will become more pronounced This is when I was in any gear -with low RPM and then hit the gas. THis video was me in 4th gear going 40 and then hitting gas up to 45 mph or around that. It happens in all the gears though. Getting worse from when I first posted. Thanks for listening and any help you can shed. Make sure to have your speakers up a little...

Box 1 - YouTube

2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
trimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:50 AM   #2

Garage
Do you have to drive it or does it do it when it sits and you hit the throttle too... could be a loose plug (yes they make that kind of noise) or you have a pulley/bearing that's chirps.
Checking the plugs is a bit of a pain because you have to pull the coils out, but I'd check that... if they're all tight, take the belt off and see if its gone... careful though dont run it too long the water pump is on the belt...
Heiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 10:58 AM   #3
jakesbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiko View Post
Do you have to drive it or does it do it when it sits and you hit the throttle too... could be a loose plug (yes they make that kind of noise) or you have a pulley/bearing that's chirps.
Checking the plugs is a bit of a pain because you have to pull the coils out, but I'd check that... if they're all tight, take the belt off and see if its gone... careful though dont run it too long the water pump is on the belt...
It only seems to happen under load. When sitting idle and revving, no noise...
2003 996 Twin Turbo X50, PCCB, polar silver / 2004 996 Carerra Cabriolet, midnight blue, cinnamon leather, IMS Pro / 2003 Artic Silver Boxster - Short Throw Shift, IMS Upgrade, Carerra Light Wheels, De-Snorked with Evoms Cold Air Intake, GHL Exhaust (Sold) / 2002 Seal Grey Boxster - Fabspeed Exhaust, Black powder coated wheels, Porsche stripes (Sold) / 2 -1957 356 A Speedsters (signal red and seal grey) (Sold) / 1989 944 Turbo (m030 S options)
Old 11-15-2012, 11:02 AM   #4

Garage
Quick way to eliminate anything running on the belt is pop the belt and take her up and down the road for a min... if no chirp then you know its a pump, idler etc. If it still does it check the plugs....
Dont worry you wont cook anything, just dont forget the power brakes and power steering wont work either so careful!
Heiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:42 PM   #5
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
I would put money on a loose plug or two.
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 05:48 AM   #6
jakesbox

Well, figured it out and it is fixed. It was the new exhaust rubbing on the aluminum coating on the back bumper. The fabspeed exhaust is a little bigger so they did not cut enough of the pieces on the car away. Took it to the installer, they trimmed a little more off the edges of the fender lining and aluminum cover and it is now perfect. Thank god...it was driving me nucking futs.