986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   plasma coils (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/37738-plasma-coils.html)

boxster 10-18-2012 04:13 AM

plasma coils

It seems like everyone is talking about the plasma coils at the moment. is there a proof that na engine will be faster with them, or is it just that they last longer than an original coil?

jaykay 10-18-2012 06:44 AM

My understanding is that the packs have many more winds to generate a higher intensity spark. I would think that this might reduce longevity of the plug anyway. The high intensity spark is more resistant to being blown out under high boost and flow conditions. Not sure if it promotes better combustion/gas propagation in NA engines.

Not sure why the word plasma is used.....seems to imply that combustion gases will reach the plasma state under this spark:o

I enquired about BBIs product but received no reply...maybe because I said I was Canadian

shadrach74 10-18-2012 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaykay (Post 309707)
My understanding is that the packs have many more winds to generate a higher intensity spark. I would think that this might reduce longevity of the plug anyway. The high intensity spark is more resistant to being blown out under high boost and flow conditions. Not sure if it promotes better combustion/gas propagation in NA engines.

Not sure why the word plasma is used.....seems to imply that combustion gases will reach the plasma state under this spark:o

I enquired about BBIs product but received no reply...maybe because I said I was Canadian

The only advantage I can think of is that more secondary windings = higher voltage. This would enable you to run increased plug gaps as the higher voltage coil will jumg across a larger gap, creating a larger spark which will more robustly ignite the F/A mixture. I have my doubts that it would make any difference in a stock Boxster. there is a point of diminishing returns. Porsche has likely optimized the ignition system to provide all the spark the engine needs. If you were running with a blower or very high compression pistons then there may be some benefit.

boxster 10-18-2012 08:12 AM

The thing is they are about 4x more expensive than stock: www.design911.co.uk/fu/pt697.../Boxster/Plasma-Direct-Coils/
I dont want to spend that much without hardly noticing any difference.
they say that it produces 100% more spark, which makes what you guys are saying make sense about the life of the plugs.
I just bought iridium power spark plugs, i beleive they are already an improvement as spark goes.

JFP in PA 10-18-2012 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boxster (Post 309718)
The thing is they are about 4x more expensive than stock: www.design911.co.uk/fu/pt697.../Boxster/Plasma-Direct-Coils/
I dont want to spend that much without hardly noticing any difference.

They will make a noticeable difference; your wallet will be much thinner and easier to sit on.............otherwise, not much else will happen.

jb92563 10-18-2012 12:29 PM

You have to be careful about the distinction between "Large Spark" and true "Plasma Ignition".

Just because its called a Plasma ignition system does not mean it incorporates a true plasma ignition process.

Marketing can be very misleading as we all know.

Here is a very nice explanation
Brief description here as well

It actually extends plug life, allows more precise ignition timing, and primarily
improves emissions and fuel economy if the engine system is optimized for it.

The Large Spark systems do erode plugs faster and who knows what else.

I would not expect much of an increase in HP though, although the speed of engine response may be enhanced for optimized systems.

Choose your technology carefully and never take the advertising for face value.

thstone 10-18-2012 10:03 PM

A plasma type ignition system might be useful in an engine designed to take advantage of its specific characteristics but I can't see any reason why it would make any difference in a stock Boxster engine.

boxster 10-18-2012 11:43 PM

thanks for the info guys. I think ill spend my money elsewhere but. $1000 + (not inc. postage)is quite expensive for a set of coils! maybe they will become cheaper as time goes!