986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Vertex Short shift kit (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/3764-vertex-short-shift-kit.html)

D.L. 09-23-2005 05:55 PM

Vertex Short shift kit

Any opinions or information on this kit? I'm seriously thinking about buying it. What about B and M?

Brucelee 09-23-2005 06:51 PM

Suggest a search here. Many posts on this a ways back.

Good luck!

:cheers:

MNBoxster 09-23-2005 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D.L.
Any opinions or information on this kit? I'm seriously thinking about buying it. What about B and M?

Hi,

No experience with the Vertex, but, FYI, B&M is the supplier to Porsche for the OEM Short Shift Option. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99

nastyboxster 09-24-2005 03:20 PM

I have the B&M and it's great. Have to use more effort to shift, but you get use to it. The Vertex one is cheaper, but has a longer throw. For the small difference, go with the B&M.

I think the short shifter is the best upgrade investment on the Boxster.

MNBoxster 09-24-2005 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nastyboxster
... Have to use more effort to shift, but you get use to it. The Vertex one is cheaper, but has a longer throw. For the small difference, go with the B&M...

Hi,

I wanted to say that, but I have no direct experience with it. Usually, when you shorten the shifter throw, you give up some of the mechanical advantage of the longer throw shifter, making the shifts a little harder. All it is really is a lever, shorten it and the effort to move it increases.

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99

D.L. 09-24-2005 04:31 PM

Thanks for the replies. I went ahead and purchased the Schnell shifter. I spoke with a rep for Vertex Auto and he said that it comes with a full satisfaction guarantee. If there's any problems or if I simply didn't like it for any reason, he would take it back no questions asked and refund my money. Not a bad deal! He also gave me a GREAT deal on it (about $100 cheaper than the B and M kit's I've seen on Ebay).

The rep said that he had a B and M and Schnell kit side by side, and said that the size, shape, and weight of both were comparable. I'll try it and post up my findings. But, for just a little over $100 including shipping, it was a no brainer!

Any experiences or tips with the installation would be appreciated. What should I look out for? I've read something about marking the cables or something like that... Any help out there!?

Brucelee 09-24-2005 06:12 PM

Good luck on the install. If you do a search on the Vertex unit here, you will find some useful tips.

:cheers:

D.L. 10-07-2005 03:37 AM

Update...
I bought the Vertex and just finished the install. The instructions were right on the money and it took about 1.5 hours to do. If you are going to do this, buy a set of snap ring pliers. They make the job WAY easier and if I had them to begin with, the install would have been much quicker. My fault...

I must say that the difference in the shift travel in SIGNIFICANT!!! It feels firm and precise. It feels like how one would expect a true race inspired car would feel. In comparison to the B & M, they are almost identical. The B & M shifter I tried at my local porsche dealer and the vertex kit I installed are the same in shift travel and shift effort. If you are thinking about this mod, DO IT!!!! Well worth the money and makes the car feel different. Try the Vertex shift kit. Same quality for about $50-$75 cheaper.