Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2007, 09:02 AM   #1

RMS question

I guess I have the dreaded leaking RMS and will have it replaced under warranty. Here's the question-how much of the oil has to be drained when they do this? I'm at 13.4k miles and figured if they had to replace all the oil when doing the seal, I would just wait and have them do it, coincidentally, at 15k miles, so I could get my oil change gratis. Yes or no?

dmcutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 09:12 AM   #2

The crankshaft seal is above the level of the oil so the oil does not need to be drained to replace the seal.

Not part of your question, but the intermediate shaft, which is located below the crankshaft, is below the oil level. So to replace the intermediate shaft seal the oil is drained.

Maybe you will be lucky and the intermediate shaft seal will be replaced at the same time....
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 09:33 AM   #3

I had mine replaced not to long ago and they just toped off the amount of oil that was drained. They added about 5 quarts and charged me for it. Silly thing is, it was so close to my next oil change, had I known this beforehand, I would of had them change the oil filter and do a complete oil change. It's your call, but they will most likely just top off the oil that was drained durring the RSM replacement.
porsche986spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 01:20 PM   #4

mine was at 43k miles when i had RMS replacement and just did 45k service done at the same time so i won't have to make another trip to the shop in a month or so (i put lot of miles quick since it's daily driver). i'll cheat and do the 60k service at 59k then catch up to correct service period at 75k service. i'm hoping oil change can handle extra 1k miles when changes are recommended every 15k.
spark00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 02:35 PM   #5
bmussatti

Hi Cutter, I would suggest that you shorten your future oil change intervals down to about 7,500-10,000 miles. I think going over 12,000 miles is just too much for our high performance engines. Cheap insurance...and good "piece of mind"!
Old 07-24-2007, 06:52 PM   #6

I had it changed at around 8k and change because I didn't know how long it had been sitting when I bought it. Reckon I'll get them both done at the same time and save a trip, although last time the loaner was an '06 987 so it wasn't too painful to leave it for a day...
dmcutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:49 PM   #7

15k miles on an oil change? wow, i run mobil 1 and still change it before 5k.. guess i may be overly cautious?

GMtech is offline   Reply With Quote