986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Roof slider replacement... (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/37564-roof-slider-replacement.html)

gazrawly 10-02-2012 09:46 AM

Roof slider replacement...

Hello! I have a niggling issue with the convertible roof on my 2002 boxster s. The roof fabric sits the wrong side of the guide channel when closing (only on one side) unless you aid the fabric with your finger. I have read an article on issues that cause this problem and have ruled out all issues except the slider/clamping rail being damaged (the plastic clips on the clamping rail?). Has anyone replaced a slider or clamping rail? Can these plastic parts be replaced without removing the outer canvas material from the car? Is there anyway of checking the plastic clips on the clamping rail without removal?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, the Boxster Chop is bad enough as it is ;)

Gaz

brian325is 10-02-2012 10:04 AM

I had this problem when I replaced my top, until I realized there are metal springs on each side that force the top in that were not positioned correctly.

This is the article I used.

https://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/convertibletopedgedoesnotfallintoguidech

gazrawly 10-02-2012 12:17 PM

Thank you for your reply Brian. I have read this article to try and resolve the problem I am having with my convertible roof. I have checked the finger springs and have rotated one of them to try and add more tension to pull the fabric into the guide rail but without luck. Are these finger springs adjustable? When I removed one of them, it seemed as though there was no adjustment as they were held in place by 2 torx bolts in a fixed position?

Gaz

brian325is 10-02-2012 02:29 PM

I think that it is tighter in one direction . Not sure how to tell because if I remember correctly they looked fairly flat.

If you think one of your sliders has come undone you can actually see the backside of the pins. Look for the claw to be poking through the frame and a pin pushed into it to lock it in place.

Also check the velcro strap to make sure it is still tight

brian325is 10-02-2012 02:32 PM

I assume you read this portion

Check the finger spring tension by pulling its top edge (white arrow in Photo #3) away from the frame and seeing how strongly it returns. In its normal, originally installed, position the spring has a slight curve towards the front of the car. To increase the tension that the finger spring provides, unscrew the two T20 Torx screws and reverse the position of the finger spring by turning it so that the face that was hidden from view is now facing outwards (i.e., towards the front of the car). The increased tension that the finger spring now provides will help to pull the plastic rib edge of the convertible top material properly into the guide channel in the B‑Pillar. If the finger spring is sharply bent or is broken (less than 5" long), it must be replaced. The finger spring (also called a “leaf spring” or “tension spring”) is part # 986 561 749 00, two needed, and costs about $4.25 each as of this writing.

gazrawly 10-02-2012 02:59 PM

I did adjust the velcro strap several times but I don't think this is the issue and looks to be in excellent condition from what I can see. I did remove the tension spring and rotate it (mentioned in the article, to provide more tension) which made no difference. I also compared it to the other spring on the side which works fine. I admit, I didn't measure the spring but it appeared to be the same size and complete with no signs of damage. The slider seemed to be nice and free with the spring giving good return pressure to the slider. I will remove the roof liner fabric from inside and take a closer look at the slider/clamping rail this weekend.

Thanks again,

Gaz

gazrawly 10-13-2012 09:25 AM

Just an update to say I've sorted the problem. I removed the Slider & guide rail and noticed that the fabric had come out slightly from the slider where the fabric is slid into 3 channels in the slider itself. It took some fettling to get the fabric back into the channel but all seems well now and I am delighted, no more getting out the car to put the roof up! :-)

Gaz