986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Removed Radio, Grounded Wire, Alarm Still Chirps (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/37522-removed-radio-grounded-wire-alarm-still-chirps.html)

SolidWorks Mike 09-26-2012 03:06 PM

Removed Radio, Grounded Wire, Alarm Still Chirps

A97 Boxster, I removed the radio and installed a Kenwood double-din nav unit, everything works fine.

When I arm the alarm via the key in the door, the horn now chirps, it was fine before the radio removal.

I did not disconnect the battery when I did the swap.

Any clues why the alarm would think the radio is missing even though the security wire is grounded?

shadrach74 09-26-2012 03:58 PM

Try firmly closing the center console cubby. Also I've heard that an open ashtray will also cause a chirp, but that just seems ridiculous. Both are cheap to rule out!

SolidWorks Mike 09-26-2012 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadrach74 (Post 307454)
Try firmly closing the center console cubby. Also I've heard that an open ashtray will also cause a chirp, but that just seems ridiculous. Both are cheap to rule out!

Already did, 100% positive it's the radio since that is all that changed.

Reckles_Kelly 09-26-2012 07:59 PM

Same thing here, I even went in and found a better ground for the radio alarm wire and it still chirps.

Skrapmot 09-26-2012 09:38 PM

Mine chirps also after my Alpine install, but i like it a bit, lets others know it has an alarm.

boxster6354 09-27-2012 05:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skrapmot (Post 307485)
Mine chirps also after my Alpine install, but i like it a bit, lets others know it has an alarm.

If I am not mistaken, when the alarm chirps it is notifying you that the alarm is not arming due to a fault, so you have no protection other than your locked doors.

:cheers:

tony_fury 09-27-2012 05:52 AM

I did extensive testing with the radio ground wire when I replaced my CDR-220.

When the wire IS grounded, it reports a fault of the stereo being removed.
The wire is connected to a spring metal tab that when the radio is slid out, makes contact to ground and triggers the alarm.
When the factory radio is push in, it pushes the metal tab open breaking the circuit. Open means no alarm.
When the wire is grounded, this causes the symptom of beeps when arming your alarm. (Fault)

If you install an aftermarket stereo you need to remove the wire from the metal tab and tape it up. The result is an open circuit and no beeps when arming your car.

Bottom line:
Normally open = no fault
Closed or grounded = fault

Hope that helps.
T

Homeboy981 09-27-2012 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tony_fury (Post 307505)
...Bottom line:
Normally open = no fault
Closed or grounded = fault
T

Tony is EXACTLY RIGHT! That is indeed what I discovered too, from repeatedly removing and re-installing the aftermarket stereo.

As a further point, make SURE IT IS WELL taped up, or better yet, tape up the wire as you are folding it. Get it out of the stereo area so your system does not accidentally "trip" it.

That happened to me. I had it taped the wire and slid my system in. The system nicked the wire and problems started again. Then, there is the constant "whine"…..I've chased it back to it's roots and pulled the whole "family" of unused factory wires out! Another story...

The only thing is….someone could remove the stereo and no alarm would sound….except for my trusty .45 ACP "early warning device", it makes a very distinctive sound when going off!

Reckles_Kelly 09-27-2012 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeboy981 (Post 307520)
except for my trusty .45 ACP "early warning device"

By the time they hear my "early warning device", it's too late. ;-)

Tell me what you found and removed to eliminate the whine. I'm ohaving the same issue, and my right front dash speaker is the source of the whine. The sound fades away at that speaker and the whine fades in at the same time, sometimes driving down the road it will fade in and out several times in a few miles.

SolidWorks Mike 09-28-2012 04:00 PM

Disconnected the wire from ground, and all works as it should, no more chirp.

So for those searching, do not ground the wire even though the post in the DIY section on this site tells you too.