986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   trying to find service history with VIN# (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/3750-trying-find-service-history-vin.html)

Bdel 09-22-2005 07:59 AM

trying to find service history with VIN#

I called my local porsche dealer to try to find service history on a Boxster I am close to purchasing. I was told by the service mgr that they could only look up service history for a car serviced by that dealership.

I thought I previously read on this site that any porsche dealer could look up any porsche service history with the vin number even if the car was serviced elsewhere.

Am I getting the runaround from my dealer, or is this not possible?

Thanks in advance for you replies.

Bdel

Brucelee 09-22-2005 09:27 AM

Your dealer can furnish two pieces of information on a car.

If they did any service on the car at that dealership, they can tell you what it was.

They can check a central data base that shows ALL repairs done under Porsche warranty. They can also tell you inservice date and warranty expire date.

What will be missing is,

Non-warranty claims done at another dealership, ie. routine service.

Hope that helps.

:cheers:

trogdor 09-22-2005 01:24 PM

I recently bought a 2000 Boxster S from a local dealer and asked the service department to provide all service records. They gave me what they had (original owner bought it there and had it serviced there) but said they delete records after 3 years and couldn't get some earlier records! Has anyone heard this before? Seems silly to me, how many records can a 50 dollar hard drive store these days, sheesh.

Brucelee 09-22-2005 03:08 PM

Never head this one before.

Seems pretty cheezy of them!

Quote:

Originally Posted by trogdor
I recently bought a 2000 Boxster S from a local dealer and asked the service department to provide all service records. They gave me what they had (original owner bought it there and had it serviced there) but said they delete records after 3 years and couldn't get some earlier records! Has anyone heard this before? Seems silly to me, how many records can a 50 dollar hard drive store these days, sheesh.

MNBoxster 09-22-2005 10:24 PM

Hi,

I bought my Boxster used from a Private Party. I went to the local Dealer for some maintenance work and they would not give me a copy of the service records they had for the car in their computer, said that the records were "Priviledged, like a Doctor's Records"!

I pointed out that Priviledge was a point of Law which did not extend to Auto Service Records. Further, that there was a distinct difference between records of having an RMS replaced and ones listing Erectile Disfunction or some such.

But, they wouldn't budge. I had a PPI done and other research, so was confident I bought a great car (one-owner, 17k mi. - verified), and I haven't had any issues with it. Still, the mere fact that they wouldn't release the records did pique my curiosity. Next time, I'll try the other dealer in town and see if I can get them.

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99

Brucelee 09-23-2005 06:17 AM

"Next time, I'll try the other dealer in town and see if I can get them."

That might work. I have run across a few dealers who give you this nonsense but on balance, most will work with you and give you the info, sans the name of the previous owner.

Good luck! Getting the records is good stuff if you can do it.

:cheers:

trogdor 09-23-2005 07:03 AM

Maybe it was the previous owner info... when I got my printouts from my salesman they had the previous owners address and phone numbers on them! Lives right down the road from me, weird.

Anyway, when I went to the service department to get them again (what I got from the salesman seemed incomplete) they used a single edge razor blade to neatly cut out the old customer info box on the forms. Why the computer can't just remove it before they print, I dunno...