986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Back to back drive S to non S.... Soooo?? See some conclusions (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/37486-back-back-drive-s-non-s-soooo-see-some-conclusions.html)

AndyA6 09-23-2012 10:26 AM

Back to back drive S to non S.... Soooo?? See some conclusions

My car S with some mods -see below-. My friends non S totally stock.

S with mods, 2004, 55,000 mls.

Non S, stock, 2003, 33,000 mls

-Brakes, about the same. I need to change my brake fluid ASAP! My pedal felt softer compared to my friends car, fresh fluid makes a difference!

- Shifter, I have the "standard" 997, his is stock, BIG difference! Long throws to much shorter. Sloppy to snappy. :) effort about the same.

- clutch, mine felt a bit stiffer. Pick up point about the same.

- Shocks/springs, we both have the stock setup. Mine felt def older, time to rebuilt/service.

- Wheels, I have the 17" , his 18" and that makes a difference. I prefer the 17" setup since it feels lighter and less harsh. With the spacers I use turn in is same. I still am convinced that the strut brace makes a difference as well, just feels sharper.

-General, it's only me but I like the black cluster better than the white background in the S. Also, my friends car had no door sill plates? Other than that everything else seems to be equal.

-Engine, well, huge difference. When driving back to back it is very obvious that mine is just simply so much more powerful in every respect. And with that said the non S is still a very fun car to drive! But having a choice when looking for a car go for an S, no question! My friend who drove my car came back with a big grin on his face.... And said "what a difference"

Oh, and both cars had the 3,200 rpm vibration......2nd gear slowing down.

So there, a lot we knew already but for me it was fun and informative to compare.

Later,
Andy

thstone 09-24-2012 11:46 AM

Yeah, I drove several of both cars when I was shopping around and the big difference is definitely in the engine/power department - especially between an early 2.5L and the 3.2L.

Jaxonalden 09-24-2012 12:42 PM

With the difference of the 2.7 to the 3.2, just think with a 3.4, 3.6 or a 3.8!!, someday.:cheers:

RandallNeighbour 09-24-2012 06:13 PM

What's behind the 3200 rpm vibration? Never heard about this before...

Worn front motor mount?

AndyA6 09-25-2012 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour (Post 307214)
What's behind the 3200 rpm vibration? Never heard about this before...

Worn front motor mount?

There are a lot of different theories...... motor mont is one. I am not sure about this issue. Dealer checked and tech said all is ok...