986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Porsche Boxster s "04" Bose Subwoofers (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/37485-porsche-boxster-s-04-bose-subwoofers.html)

2flylo 09-23-2012 10:22 AM

Porsche Boxster s "04" Bose Subwoofers

Hi.
Was wondering if anybody out there knew if the rear Bose Horn & Subs behind seat
has there own Amp. or does it get the power from the amp under front Hood.
Ready to replace radio with Nav system & replace amp with the 5 channel Pdx-V9
Alpine. Also does anybody run Subs under the front hood on boxsters . And how
do you think they work?

Thanks for your help....

2 flylo...

2003S 09-23-2012 11:52 AM

I can't imagine how a sub under the front hood, on the other side of sheet metal would be effective at all. Some folks have put smaller subs under / behind the seats, and even in the passenger footwell. Me, I just installed the Harvey PnP rear speakers powered off of the stock amplifier, and am pretty pleased with them. Gave the system a much fuller sound, but I'm certainly no car-audio "enthusiast", just needed a bit more "oomph" IMO.

Skrapmot 09-23-2012 05:39 PM

I've seen subwoofers in the front boot, but the problem is everybody can hear it also.
You can't get enough base from the door drivers?

2flylo 09-24-2012 11:24 AM

With the top down we lose all Bass. Just looking for a Fat Sound with Vol between Low & Med.
Got installation set for tomorrow... Adding a Alpine 5 channel Amp & Kenwood Dvd/Nav. unit.
Will see how this works with the Factory Bose speakers... If not enough Bass may go with a
JL "10 through the 5th Channel at 500 Watts inside front Hood to see if that may work.
Thanks for your Help.... Will let you know results....
2 fllo...

Mrmaddbrad 09-24-2012 06:53 PM

I have to tell you, you will not be able to hear the subwoofer in any trunk...

Actually, let me correct that. You may be able to hear them rattle and a some one deep note coming from somewhere outside the car, with the top down. However, the FEEL that comes with bass, that everyone wants, will just not be there.

Sound waves are just the movement of air. Bass especially. Thats the "kick" that you get from subwoofers... It's just pushing the air. Now, if you push air that is in a completely different, sealed portion of your car, you're not going to be able to feel it like you expect.

Feel free to try, however you're honestly better off buying a GREAT amp, and GREAT 8" door speakers and getting plenty of bass that way.

Oh well, just my two cents.

Good luck and Happy Boxstering!!
~Brad

2flylo 09-26-2012 08:05 PM

Thanks for all your feedback. Went with the Alpine VX-9 (5)channel amp and the Kenwood 7190HD
Nav-Dvd player. Huge difference.. Kept the stock Bose speakers and the System can be E-Q for a
Fat Sound with lots of Bass coming from the Back Stock Subs. Just need to Monitor the Levels
because of the High power amp. !00 Watts on 4 channels each and 500 for the rear Sub.

Happy Motoring...
2FlyLo