986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   VW to partner build of the 2013 Boxster (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/37443-vw-partner-build-2013-boxster.html)

Uller God 09-19-2012 08:37 AM

VW to partner build of the 2013 Boxster

Porsche has announced that, to cope with demand, some Boxsters will be produced at the Osnabruck Volkswagen plant. Some of the original Boxster production was farmed out to Valmet in Finland, could this come down to who makes the better car, German vs Finnish?

Volkswagen Plant Begins Partial Production of Porsche Boxster - Carscoop

Ghostrider 310 09-19-2012 09:13 AM

It's still a Porsche and many thought the Fins did as good a job as Germany, still for what I fork out monthly I'm glad mine was crafted in Zuffenhausen.

tonycarreon 09-19-2012 10:16 AM

prior to launching the 981, porsche had announced plans to no longer farm the work out to valmet and to bring it back in-house to the zuffenhausen plant.

it's the same plant that produced the 914, the 968 as well as the ghia and the merkur and has an output of around 100k vehicles per year. according to another story i read it is supposedly the planned main production facility for the cayman.

i think it comes down to financial rather than build quality. pay people you already employ to make a car or pay a third-party to make it...

Ghostrider 310 09-19-2012 10:44 AM

Of course it's all about money, that and Porsche having to share the steering wheel with their giant parent V.W. Still, I would rather have Porsche employees on the project.

ekam 09-19-2012 04:28 PM

Pretty sad really, but we know it's just a matter of time.

987.2 for a while were made in Stuggart factory...

tonycarreon 09-20-2012 11:33 AM

to be clear, some cars will come from zuffenhausen and some cars will come from osnabruck, essentially the same as when some were made in finland.

for what it's worth, my 986 came from finland. all of the parts still come from the same place, it's just where are those parts put together to make the whole car.

Ghostrider 310 09-21-2012 01:25 AM

Mine 986 was a Fin-box too, I had no complaints about assembly, maybe Tony is right, the design and individual parts are what make it great. Still, with all respect to Detroit, I wouldn't want one built at willow run or in Ypsilanti.

thstone 09-22-2012 09:22 PM

In this day and age, it doesn't matter at all where a car (or any other consumer product) is assembled. The assembly process is exactly the same, the inspection points are the same, and customer reported quality issues are monitored and corrected.