Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2012, 08:02 PM   #1

Question Need some help on the short shafts.

I have been having some sqeling on the rear end. I had a friend look at the car on the lift with me in and had the car in gear and he is telling me that it is the rear bearing in or around the Trans. Where they go in to the trans. Ok he is a back yard mechanic and is saying that the trans need to come out and the bearings need to be replaced? First I need to know on the trans is their bearings for the output for the sort shafts. Second can I do this my self with the car on jack stands and the trans in the car.

davetheviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:34 AM   #2

re 2nd, i doubt you can do this job on jackstands, if this is the problem the box will need to be removed
oldboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:59 AM   #3

Garage
If you are talking about the axle stub spindle where your half-shaft bolts to yes there are bearings and they can be replaced. I think it's possible to do it in the car but I would pull the gearbox to make it A LOT EASIER. Then I'd check or replace IMS bearing and clutch to make sure that's not the area of concern. You can pull the gearbox with the car on jack stands. One of my older posts shows my car on jack stands with the gearbox removed. It's not that hard but I don't advise this if you have never done this type of work on a cheap car that won't cost you big if you mess up.