986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   ECU flash and fuel pressure regulator (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/37420-ecu-flash-fuel-pressure-regulator.html)

lyle.woodard@aes.com 09-17-2012 06:17 PM

ECU flash and fuel pressure regulator

I have a 2000 Boxster S which recently had an engine failure. I got an (excellent) new engine built by Jake Raby at Flat 6 Enterprises, with displacement bumped up to 3.6l, new Ims, and other upgrades for reliability. I have a cold air intake, IPD intake plenum with 74mm throttle body, and secondary cat bypass. I am planning on installing a complete Fabspeed exhaust system with headers and sport cats this fall, mostly for the sound...:)

Previous to the engine failure, with the cold air intake and cat bypass pipes installed I purchased a Softronics flash, which also worked quite well. Now I have a couple of questions:

When I get the new exhaust system, with the displacement change and all the intake mods, will I benefit from a new flash? Likewise, will I benefit from an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, or can my stock injectors and pressure flow all of the fuel I need to make full use of the mods?

smlporsche 09-18-2012 03:45 AM

I would call the guys at Softronics and ask them or Jake.

Steve Tinker 09-19-2012 12:53 AM

I don't believe this post!

Surely Jake Raby would be the obvious person to answer your questions....
I would have thought that the Raby 3.6 upgrade would be sufficient for most !!

lyle.woodard@aes.com 09-21-2012 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Tinker (Post 306591)
I don't believe this post!

Surely Jake Raby would be the obvious person to answer your questions....
I would have thought that the Raby 3.6 upgrade would be sufficient for most !!

I have had several suggestions I contact Jake, I had been reluctant to bother a busy man who had already delivered exactly what I asked of him, but will take the suggestion.

I do really like the engine, but what is this "sufficient" concept?.....

Jake Raby 09-21-2012 07:20 PM

Lyle, Definitely talk to us about this as it will impact the warranty on your engine. I have strong feelings concerning ECU enhancements with our engines and we find that the optimized packages really don't benefit from the ECU work. I have seen way too many negative impacts from ECU tuning.

Its been 3 years since we flashed an ECU, with my internal designs it simply isn't needed, nor is it beneficial in our research.

I'm back from my 7,000 mile R&D trip to Canada so shoot me an email.

jaykay 10-01-2012 11:55 AM

I have the 986 3.2 Softronic flash.....what negatives have you seen with this tune?

jb92563 10-01-2012 12:52 PM

Just out of curiosity how is the displacement increased from 3.2L to 3.6L?

New Crank/pistons/rods/valves etc on the 3.2 engine or by getting a 3.6 engine?

Do all the engine electronics have to be changed out, computer, sensors etc.

The Radium King 10-02-2012 06:40 AM

hey jaykay - when does the rev limiter cut in with your new tune, and is it a hard or soft limit?

jaykay 10-02-2012 10:31 AM

I have yet to bounce off of it as yet. I am not sure what you mean by hard or soft....I would assume it maybe slightly higher with ignition cut out just like the old traction control.

Thinking about it now I think I have always had wheel spin and high revs at the same time so not sure....how the rev limiter behaves. The traction control cuts the ignition or so it sounds

lyle.woodard@aes.com 10-16-2012 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jb92563 (Post 307891)
Just out of curiosity how is the displacement increased from 3.2L to 3.6L?

New Crank/pistons/rods/valves etc on the 3.2 engine or by getting a 3.6 engine?

Do all the engine electronics have to be changed out, computer, sensors etc.

The cylinder liners are replaced using the appropriate L&N nickies product, Flat 6 can build one up to 4.0 litres. Check them out, they have a real good reputation and I found them excellent to work with.

jb92563 10-17-2012 07:24 AM

New liners....cool.

Liners, Pistons, Rods, cams?, throttle body, ECU flash.

Probably not as expensive as a whole new engine and the wiring/computer can stay the same.

There is no substitute for displacement and you can never have too much power.

Nice!!!!

onaFLYer 10-29-2012 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaykay (Post 307879)
I have the 986 3.2 Softronic flash.....what negatives have you seen with this tune?

I'd be curious to an answer to this as i just ordered my Softronic tune for my S. Have you seen any drawbacks on yours? I finally removed my air restrictor's and decided it was time for the upgrade to take advantage of my mods.

jaykay 11-21-2012 10:57 AM

I haven't experienced any noticeable drawbacks. With my by-pass exhaust I started to get more snap crackle and pop.

Generally I felt more liveliness at 4k and above along with better fuel econ. There won't be any earth shattering change; there is the learning curve.

After the learning time I do recall punching it at 4k and feeling the change....now I don't notice much

....have a large TB now so....there is change again