Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2005, 03:37 AM   #1
PAH

Brake Disks (rotors) and Pads

Just been told by the dealership that I need new brake pads and disks (rotors) all round. Thats on my Boxster S 2002.

They have yet to tell me the price, but:

a) Can I get them fitted cheaper in the UK anywhere?

b) If I buy the parts only, how easy are they to fit myself?

I can get the parts for about £550 from www.porscheshop.co.uk, but I've never fitted disks or pads on any car before. How hard can it be though?

By the way, they also told me that the front control arms need replacing both sides because the bushes are worn. I'm told you can't get the bushes alone, you have to buy the whole arm at £154.00 each plus 17.5% VAT.

I'm beginning to wonder if the Porsche extended warranty is worth having, as nothing seems to be covered! This car is starting to cost me a fortune.

PAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 05:31 AM   #2

Do you have a copy of the warranty.

Is it clearly stated that these items are not covered?

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 06:37 AM   #3

Unfortunately, the pads, rotors and bushings are normal wear items that won't be covered by a warranty.

For the pads and rotors, they are a breeze to replace yourself. Check this link for instructions: http://www.bombaydigital.com/boxster/projects/brakes/

You can buy Zimmerman rotors (those are OEM and identical to the ones that came with your Boxster). There are several great aftermarket pads too. I use the Mintex Red Box for lower dust.

Good luck!
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 07:34 AM   #4
PAH

Thanks for the link, I'm going to do this myself.

I didn't expect the brakes to be covered by warranty, because they are consumables, but the suspension arms, the roof cable that failed a few months back and a fault with the cluctch that was reported on delivery of the car have all been excluded from the warranty. I've also been told that suspension parts, and heat shields are not covered either.
PAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 07:46 AM   #5

My aftermarket warranty said they do not cover rear suppesnion but covers the front, hmmmm wounder what exactly the cover.

I use Mentex pads also for the low dust. The Mentex are better than the Brembo pads anyway for about the same cost.

Richard
my89_928gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 08:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAH
Thanks for the link, I'm going to do this myself.

I didn't expect the brakes to be covered by warranty, because they are consumables, but the suspension arms, the roof cable that failed a few months back and a fault with the cluctch that was reported on delivery of the car have all been excluded from the warranty. I've also been told that suspension parts, and heat shields are not covered either.
Would it be easier to list what IS covered? What was the problem with the clutch? I wouldn't expect the clutch disc to be covered, but anything else ought to be IMHO. Same with A-Arms since the bushings can't be replaced separately (yet).

Look around on the net and see if you can find some aftermarket A-Arm bushings. There are a bunch available for the 928 in different materials. It's the same way with that car and the dealer, have to replace the whole thing, so some smart folks came up with their own bushings to replace the old ones. :dance:

1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote