Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2012, 08:15 AM   #1

Electrical Gremlins

There are two worrisome problems that have happened with our 2004 Boxster S in the past month. I would appreciate knowing if any other owners have had similar problems, and if they know what is causing them.

First problem:

Yesterday when my wife came out of the grocery store it was dark and raining hard. The car started fine, but the windshield wipers wouldn't work, the A/C fan wouldn't blow and the headlights were weak. She managed to get the car home and in the garage. I started it up and it did the same thing. I got the manual out and went back in the house to look up the fuses. Each of the non-working items was on a separate fuse, so I went back out to try all the electrical stuff to see what else wouldn't work. I started the car and this time the wipers and AC fan came on. Everything else worked fine, and has today as well.

Second problem:

Last week when I put the key in the ignition and began to turn it the key froze and the entire car locked down. The dash lights went out, the top lever wouldn't open and the doors locked. I couldn't get out. I was just about to kick out the passenger window when I tried the key one more time. This time it turned in the ignition, the doors unlocked and everything else turned on. Since then I 've had no problem, but I always start the car with a door open.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

wroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:30 AM   #2

The problem is your ingition switch
(This is common on the boxster)
Its not an expensive part about $50, and yes you can do it yourself if your handy!

I had the same problem with mine and changed the switch last month.
first the lights / AC and some other options started to act funny, a month later the key woud come out but the ignition stayed on, then the key world start to spin 360 degrees, etc.

It will get worse over time, the worst is, IT WILL LEAVE YOU STRANDED ON THE ROAD at some point if you dont fix it!

there are 2 pqarts to the ignition: the tumbler/cylender and the switch- just change the switch part, you can get it on ebay etc. i got mine from the dealer.

Porche replaced the original with a better part because it was in fact a flawed product, hence the need to change it and the problems.

Just google it and you will find step by step instructions how to do it yourself,
i did mine in about 45min - it was easy! glad i didnt pay the dealer to do it, they would have charged at least $300 for sure.

good luck!
xtre986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:42 AM   #3

xtre986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:33 AM   #4
Rennzenn

Garage
+1 on ignition switch. It's not a tough job, and there are a few write-ups. Definitely DIYable
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:47 AM   #5

Holy cow! A cheap part I can replace myself on a Boxster? WOW.
Thank you very much for the advice. My wife thanks you, as well.
wroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:09 PM   #6
Rennzenn

Garage
Honestly, it's one of the easiest cars I've ever worked on.

j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote