Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2012, 09:05 AM   #1

Flashing CEL + Blue Smoke?

Was out at Laguna Seca in my 03 Boxster yesterday. Car did awesome in the first 20 min session!

I was just starting my 2nd lap in the 2nd session, and powering out of turn 2 when the car started acting up. I applied full throttle out of the turn, and the car started cutting out and bucking. I looked down at the instrument cluster, and saw the CEL light flashing. I then looked in the rear view mirror, and saw a very large cloud of blue smoke behind me!

I tried to get on the throttle again, and the same thing happened. Out of fear that something had gone horribly wrong with the engine, I threw on the hazards and limped off the track.

The car drove normally after that with only a bit of blue smoke, but it soon cleared up. I was able to (slowly) drive the car home, and it seems to be totally fine now. There is no solid CEL at all.

One person at the track suggested it could be the air oil separator, but I was able to remove the oil cap while the car was idling no problem at all. No excess suction, or whistling sounds?

I tried to use my generic code reader to see if any codes were stored, but it came up with nothing.

Any thoughts? Could it in fact be the AOS?

Thanks.

LG Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:18 AM   #2

Codes are there, you need a better reader.

A flashing CEL means TURN OFF THE ENGINE, not get on the throttle.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:22 AM   #3

I believe that a flashing CEL indicates a misfire. You need to have it read with a durametric reader to see which cylinder is missing. Could be a cracked coil pack... The smoke was likely caused by raw fuel entering the exhaust during the misfire...
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:43 AM   #4

Garage
It can be also blown head gasket due to overheat
Do not drive it like this
golonaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:00 AM   #5

A flashing CEL means immediate shutdown, immediate flatbed, immediate code read and immediate access to a mechanic extremely experienced in the diagnostics necessary to determine the fault. Solid CELs can limp home usually, blinking ones indicate a major risk failure detected.

Good luck.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:24 AM   #6

There is a lot of mention of immediate shut down, which I agree with, but it did not happen. Because it was not shutdown, we know that the flashing CEL did not stay illuminated. If there was an issue that was going to cause the engine to self destruct in seconds/minutes, would the light not have continued to flash? A misfire will cause a flashing CEL. The problem clearly seems intermittent. So the solution is to have a proper durametric read of DTC history and go from there. Or as an alternative he could continue to hang out here and be lectured about something he can not change...
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:35 AM   #7

Garage
Sounds the engine ingested some oil thru the AOS, maybe during a hard left turn? Pull the sparkplugs & inspect for oil fouling starting with #2 the middle cylinder on passenger side.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:53 AM   #8

Thanks for the replies guys.

Yes, I definitely know the dangers of driving with a flashing check engine light. Unfortunately, I had cars coming up behind me, and had to use some power to get to the right side of the track, and out of their way.

Like, I mentioned the CEL disappeared soon after, so I figured it was safe enough to drive home. I would not have driven home if the CEL was still flashing away.

Sounds like I need to get my hands on the Durametric tool and see what codes its thrown. I also should probably inspect/replace the AOS.

I will also pull the plugs and check to make sure they're not fouled...
LG Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:27 AM   #9

Oil level was too full?
1999 996, Track Only #996
Everything Jake could upgrade, and more!
ltusler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:48 AM   #10

This is known issue with the Boxter when you are driving on tracks. It only happens during left turn with maximum throttle and 5000+ revs on the engine. Under very specific circumstances oil is sucked up by the AOP and blown into the intake. This cause immediate misfire and flashing CEL, loss of power aso.
There is no harm though - the engine just needs to idle for a few minutes to burn the oil and then everything is ok again.
My 2004 Boxter S did exactly the same, 3rd stint 2nd round... I guess it has to be "the perfect slush" before the oil is sucked up...

I don't know if the AOP is being damages if it happens "often"... so far it has only happened once for me out of 4 track-days. If you drive with "sticky tires" the risk is higher as the G-force is increased.

/Lars

labr_dk is offline   Reply With Quote