Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2012, 06:23 AM   #1

Garage
Pedro's TechnoFlow Hi-Flo Air Intake

So, before I embark on assembling and installing Pedro's TechnoFlow Hi-Flo air intake, in place of the somewhat restrictive factory air intake tube on my 2001 Boxster 'S', if any members have performed this DIY project, what is the perceptible difference in sound this device produces?

I'm just curious if anyone can describe what the sound dfference has been after they installed Pedro's less restrictive device. I know it's going to be a subjective response, but there has to be some sound that people have equated hearing after installation of this device. Sounds like...?

Spyderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 01:04 PM   #2

Hey Spyderman,
I just recently did the Pedro intake, combined with the desnorkle, and I love the sound! When you step on it, anything above 4k rpm gets a great roar and woosh as she gulps in the air. It is a GREAT mod!
That being said there are 2 tips I would share with ya;
1) use 3in dryer vent tubing instead of the elbows to pvc/aluminum. this will save you a bit more money AND the main reason is trying get those elbows to mate perfectly with the throttle body and the air box is very very annoying, and with the limited hand space down by the air box leads to it very easily slipping off just enough to "leak." this will then trigger a CEL and possible damage your MAF and even worse all that dust in the engine bay will now be in your engine!!! that is no bueno.
Mine did this several times and after getting angry enough I tried the dryer vent and it has not slipped off yet and the "ribbing" of the vent does NOT create enough air turbulence to be a problem, infact if you really wanted to argue it, one could say the spiral ribbing of the dryer vent only increases "organized" air into the TB ( I did make my own rubber "gaskets" to help ensure snug fit on both air box and TB"

2) Pedro mentions using neoprene plumbing insulation to help keep the air "cold," while it does work a bit, use HVAC insulation. it is fiberglass wrap that is foil backed. still sold at all major home depots etc, this insulates SO MUCH BETTER! it is also easy to apply as it is just like taping a hockey stick or wrapping headers. just remember to wear gloves when handling.
I can get pics up if need be.
Hope this helps and which ever route you use, you will love the new sound!

~Spencer
ccstud17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:05 PM   #3

I did this mod two months ago and the sound is amazing. More noticeable when you suddenly depress the accelerator, the rush of air in the intake sounds like your releasing compressed air on the first note. The sound improved a lot also when I changed the oem filter to KN using the stock box and throatier from first to second gear. Try it, you will love it!
iceberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:24 PM   #4

When my motor was being rebuilt, my mechanic removed the resonator box and filled in the gap so the airflow was smooth as well as desnokled the car. It sounds great along with the NHP sport muffler which I updated to. It's hard NOT to rev the car ....

Many who have heard it love the sound especially when driving through underpasses. I don't know what the car felt like before as I bought the car with a blown motor (PO overfilled crank with 4 extra litres of oil), but as said before ... hard not to blip the throttle. People keep giving me thumbs up ...

2010 Ford F150 FX4 Luxury

Retired after 38 years with the same company.
Jaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:09 AM   #5

Garage
Thanks for the input! I ordered 90 degree and a 45 degree 3" inside diameter rubber boots and a 12" length of 3" diameter aluminum tubing from www.intakehoses.com. With shipping, came in under $50.

Thanks for the suggestion about using the foil backed fiberglass HVAC insulation material Spencer. I like that better than the foam pipe insulation material Pedro mentioned using.

Puzzled by what you were referring to when you mentioned "all that dust in the engine bay"...

I'll post pictures when I get things installed, and share my subjective opinion as to how it sounds.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:29 PM   #6

I'd strongly advise against the K&N air filter. The oils off the filter messes up the mass airflow sensor. That's why the filters are cheaper for the boxster then most any other car.
Cater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 03:55 PM   #7

Garage
Okay, I received the rubber elbows and length of aluminum tubing today. I attached the 45 degree elbow to one end of the aluminum tube, and laid it next to the factory tube to get an idea of how much I'd need to cut off when the 90 degree elbow was placed on the other end.

Once I had the tube cut and both elbows slipped over the ends, I attempted to fit the new pieces between the throttle body and the airbox. The rubber elbows I ordered are pretty thick walled, and don't permit a lot of flexing and bending to get things situated to attach very easily.

As it turns out, two 45 degree elbows would've been a better fit than the one 90 and one 45. After several minutes of trying to get the rubber elbows slipped over the throttle body and airbox ends, I gave up! There is no way that lash-up was going to fit into my engine compartment. Add to that the confined access I had to work within, and I ended up re-installing the factory tube, with it's muffler appendage. In reality, there's nothing wrong with the factory air tube, and the sound the engine made was just fine. I have a Billy Boat stainless muffler installed, and that really does give a very pleasing exhaust note, especially while rowing through the gears at top rpm.

So, anybody wanna' try to get 45 and 90 degree thick walled rubber elbows and length of aluminum tubing to fit in their engine compartment?
Old 09-06-2012, 07:21 PM   #8
Crazy Austrian

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cater View Post
I'd strongly advise against the K&N air filter. The oils off the filter messes up the mass airflow sensor. That's why the filters are cheaper for the boxster then most any other car.
The only reason the air flow sensor get's messed up is from overoiling the filter. You need to use the spray oil sparingly, then let it drain on a paper towel overnight and all will be well. I have been running K&N filters for years without ANY problems with my maf sensor.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:45 AM   #9

The argument against the K&N is as much their poor air filtration as any risk of over oiling and contamination of the MAF. Over oiling can be cured and the MAF cleaned. But letting in more and bigger particles of dirt to rub against your valves and cylinders goes counter to the reason you have an air filter.

mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote