986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   DME flash indication (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/37261-dme-flash-indication.html)

jaykay 09-06-2012 09:52 AM

DME flash indication

How does one determine whether a revised DME file has been uploaded on a car?

Would some sort of designation show up on the durametric software while running a scan? I don't recall this indication being present.

JFP in PA 09-06-2012 10:26 AM

No. PCNA test the system by assigning unique values to each DME software terms and then doing a sum check to see if it is altered.

paulv 09-06-2012 10:28 AM

--deleted---

jaykay 09-06-2012 10:34 AM

Okay that is what i was afraid of. If I happen to bring my car in to a dealer, there is chance they could wipe out a modified tune while trying to perform a DME update.....If there are any??

I wouldn't be able to tell if a my modified DME file had been replaced by a stock update

JFP in PA 09-06-2012 12:20 PM

To my understanding, once they detected a modified DME program, they would note it and refuse to do anything more. For cars still under warranty, they would terminate the warranty within PIWIS system network (so that no other dealer would honor it either) and return the car to its owner; but they would not update or re-flash the DME.

jaykay 09-06-2012 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 305017)
To my understanding, once they detected a modified DME program, they would note it and refuse to do anything more. For cars still under warranty, they would terminate the warranty within PIWIS system network (so that no other dealer would honor it either) and return the car to its owner; but they would not update or re-flash the DME.

Okay well shall see! Thanks! Hopefully it is something they have to work at detecting and would not be bothered by an out warranty car.

I was more concerned with them wiping my flash with their "testers" while routinely reading codes

JFP in PA 09-06-2012 01:35 PM

This function is built into the PIWIS system, but I do not know if the detection is automatic or manually invoked. In any case, it is not supposed to over write the DME.

Meir 09-06-2012 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaykay (Post 305028)
Okay well shall see! Thanks! Hopefully it is something they have to work at detecting and would not be bothered by an out warranty car.

I was more concerned with them wiping my flash with their "testers" while routinely reading codes

Just one question.
If your car is out of warranty, why are you taking it to the dealer?

jaykay 09-06-2012 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meir (Post 305054)
Just one question.
If your car is out of warranty, why are you taking it to the dealer?

Some operations have comprable costs for certain things.....I don't have a garage to work in all the time.

Dave928 09-07-2012 11:33 AM

for one example, say your cats went bad.

while your car may only be covered by a 2 year factory warranty, catalytic converters are covered for 8 years by federal law (in the US, don't know about Canadia). if you took your out of Porsche warranty - but less than 8-year-old - car into the dealer and they had to replace your cats, there may be an ECU flash update to go with it. they're not going to look at what you have flashed in the ecu, the update installer software is simply going to see that it isn't the current version and do the update. which most likely will wipe what your aftermarket flash programmed.