986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Top Speed Headers and Exhaust (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/37213-top-speed-headers-exhaust.html)

Alfieg23 09-03-2012 11:50 AM

Top Speed Headers and Exhaust

I would like feedback from anyone who has installed either the Top Speed headers or exhaust or both. Is there any drone from either part? Is there any issue with ground clearance with the headers and the O2 sensors? What is your opinion of the quality and fitment? Thanks.

Alfieg23 09-03-2012 02:52 PM

<Bump>

Any feedback?

Johnny Danger 09-03-2012 04:25 PM

Which iteration boxster do you have ?

RandallNeighbour 09-03-2012 04:33 PM

I have both. No idea if there's drone from headers and stock cats and stock muffler. Muffler is gloriously loud and lovely with the top down, but the cabin drone with the top up is deafening if you hang around 2800 rpm.

Gives about 18 hp bump on a 2.5 over stock without reflashing the ECU.

No ground clearance issues, but you will have to wrap one of your AC lines and zip tie it to something to keep it from rubbing up against the headers, which are a lot larger than stock headers. O2 sensors fit fine.

Quality and fitment seem to be good.

Hope this helps!

Jittsl 09-03-2012 06:08 PM

I recently purchased (and then returned) a set of their cat bypass pipes for my 98 Boxster. I was very unimpressed with the fit and even less impressed with their reaction to my suggestion that something seemed to be wrong. When installed the pipes ended at different heights and widths and one of them touched the chassis.

Obviously I wasn't going to use them that way so I rang them to see if they had any explanation. Without much thought on their part I was told that their must be something wrong with my car and no consideration was even given to the thought that the product was at fault. Since they were bolted to the back of a set of stock headers I'm not sure what exactly they think could be wrong. Interestingly product bought from another source fitted perfectly.

To add insult to injury I was then informed that I would have to pay for the shipping in both directions and that I would be charged a 20% restocking fee. After some discussion it was agreed that they would at least look at them and they would see if anything appeared to be wrong.

They received them a week ago and they have yet to refund anything. They sell cheap imported Chinese product and you get what you pay for. Aside from that however they don't seem to be a particularily customer focused company. I found George to be downright rude. I would not recommend them or ever use them again.

Alfieg23 09-03-2012 06:09 PM

Thank you RandallNeighbour. JDanger, I have a 2000 Base 2.7 Boxster.

Alfieg23 09-03-2012 06:11 PM

Thanks Jittsl.

Johnny Danger 09-03-2012 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfieg23 (Post 304571)
Thank you RandallNeighbour. JDanger, I have a 2000 Base 2.7 Boxster.

Sorry, but without getting into too much detail, changing the headers and pre-cats on a 2.7 boxster isn't worth the time or effort spent messing around with a cheap set of headers . With all due respect to Randall, if he's getting 18 hp from a set of Top Speed headers, along with their cat back exhaust, that's nothing short of miraculous . After nigh on to 10k of custom exhaust mods, to included an ECU re-map, I barely achieved that figure on my vehicle .

Meir 09-03-2012 08:02 PM

Hi Jittsl.
So what is the product you ended up using, and where did you get it?
( if you don't mind sharing this information )

Jittsl 09-04-2012 02:23 AM

To be honest I do not know. I only mentioned them because they were proof to me that there was nothing wrong with the shape of my headers. I found them secondhand on Craigslist. Previous owner said he bought them from Atlanta about 2 years ago.

delubozparts 09-04-2012 12:36 PM

I need to chimed in on this posting, we had sold many of these Boxter 97-99 2.5L and Boxster & S 00-04 2.7/3.2L Test Pipes through this forum and E-Bay/Web-site sales all with good reviews and feedbacks.

I had a good discussion with our sales rep George about this complaints and found out:

jittsl had a 1998 Boxster 2.5L using a unknown Header and with 2002 Boxster Rear Exhaust section, ended up purchased our Test Pipes for Boxster 97-99 2.5L Test Pipes through our web-site on August 15th

Now this is the issue, if you are fitting 2000-Up exhaust you will need to use Test Pipes from 00-04 2.7/3.2L applications to be compatible with the fitment. As far as the Headers for 97-99 2.5L and 00-04 2.7/3.2L are the same specs with difference of O2 sensor bungs.

Hope this clears up the issues and questionable quality and fitment with our Top Speed Pro-1 products.

FYI:
97-99 Boxster 2.5L Test Pipes
http://www.topspeedauto.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=293&idproduct=2843

00-04 Boxster 2.7/3.2L Test Pipes
http://www.topspeedauto.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=293&idproduct=2844

We will issue jittsl refund back subject to our standard return policy.

Our company is responsible and reputable seller, we have nothing to hide and will stand up to our rights.

Thank you :cheers:

Best Regards,

Che

Boxster586 09-04-2012 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by delubozparts (Post 304669)
I need to chimed in on this posting, we had sold many of these Boxter 97-99 2.5L and Boxster & S 00-04 2.7/3.2L Test Pipes through this forum and E-Bay/Web-site sales all with good reviews and feedbacks.

I had a good discussion with our sales rep George about this complaints and found out:

jittsl had a 1998 Boxster 2.5L using a unknown Header and with 2002 Boxster Rear Exhaust section, ended up purchased our Test Pipes for Boxster 97-99 2.5L Test Pipes through our web-site on August 15th

Now this is the issue, if you are fitting 2000-Up exhaust you will need to use Test Pipes from 00-04 2.7/3.2L applications to be compatible with the fitment. As far as the Headers for 97-99 2.5L and 00-04 2.7/3.2L are the same specs with difference of O2 sensor bungs.

Hope this clears up the issues and questionable quality and fitment with our Top Speed Pro-1 products.

FYI:
TOP SPEED AUTO ACCESSORIES, INC.

Our company is responsible and reputable seller, we have nothing to hide and will stand up to our rights.

Best Regards,

Che

I had zero issue installing a set of TopSpeed bypass pipes last weekend. In my experience, I had to insert the tail end of the pipe into the muffler and and then align the front. The alignment took some time to get perfect because of the tight working area. The pipes does increase the flow dramatically as my exhaust is noticeably louder. I'm happy with the results and happy having not spent $300+ more on two pipes from another manufacturer.

By the way, there is a video by another member regarding the installation and how he had to have a muffler shop cut two tack welded bolts in order to install. I found this to be not the case. The nuts were tack welded but the bolts still turned. All you need is a simple socket set and a long socket extension to reach two bolts.

Jittsl 09-04-2012 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by delubozparts (Post 304669)

FYI:

Best Regards,

Che

Hey Che, I guess you can't read either. I stated quite clearly above that I have 98 headers on my 98 Boxster. George (who i suspect is simply lieing to cover his arse) knew this as I told him this about 10 times. For the record (and if you had ever bothered to find out the difference you would know this) you cannot fit the test pipes from an 02 at all to a 98. The mounting flanges are upside down and it would not start to install. Did George show you the many photos I sent him?

I really don't care how many of these systems you have sold without complaint I know the following: the pipes you sent me do not fit on a 98 that is running stock headers (which is not to say that they don't work if they are installed with your headers). I have already sent an email to George that he verifies against a stock 98 cat because the ones you sent me end up installing with their terminations at different angles and different widths as well as hitting the bottom support member of the suspension.

I think in all fairness that you should explain what you mean by "we have nothing to hide and will stand up to our rights" and "subject to Our standard return policy". In my case it meant you keep your profit margin (as a 20% restocking fee charged to me) and that I should pay for transportation in both directions. WHO exactly is even considering my rights?

If you would like to get your facts straight and actually know what you are talking about before you put your BS up on the forum feel free to call me. You've always had my phone number. Until we have sorted this out I stand by everything I said in my original post.

Jittsl 09-04-2012 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boxster586 (Post 304672)
I had zero issue installing a set of TopSpeed bypass pipes last weekend. In my experience, I had to insert the tail end of the pipe into the muffler and and then align the front.

By the way, there is a video by another member regarding the installation and how he had to have a muffler shop cut two tack welded bolts in order to install. I found this to be not the case. The nuts were tack welded but the bolts still turned. All you need is a simple socket set and a long socket extension to reach two bolts.

Im glad you had no issue.

Yours however must be different from mine. Mine have no adjustment at the front. There is a welded flange that that bolts up to the rear of the headers and that's it. Likewise mine have no tacked in nuts.

Boxster586 09-04-2012 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jittsl (Post 304700)
Im glad you had no issue.

Yours however must be different from mine. Mine have no adjustment at the front. There is a welded flange that that bolts up to the rear of the headers and that's it. Likewise mine have no tacked in nuts.

I have a 2003 base with a 2.7 engine with factory headers and factory primary cats. The flanges are NOT adjustable. I just had to install the end of the test pipes into the muffler first and then twist the pipes so that the holes in the flanges line up.

Sorry you had a tough time with your set up......it sure takes the fun out of modding these great cars when issues like yours come up. I Hope things work out for you in the end because I sure like the way my car sounds after the install.

Best of luck to you.

Jittsl 09-04-2012 04:45 PM

Things are already sorted for me so no issue. I just don't like be taken advantage of by anyone and I don't want my fellow 986s to fall into the same trap as I did.

What I don't think our friends at topspeed recognize is that had if I had not been treated like an **************************** by them then I would have never said a word. If the response had been "gee, sorry to hear your having an issue, please send them back and we'll try and figure out what's going on" instead of "we sell hundreds of these and we never have an issue and so there must be something wrong with your car!" then I wouldn't have a complaint. These people might be fine to work with when things go right, but they are pricks when they don't and I wish them nothing but ill.

delubozparts 09-05-2012 08:44 AM

No need to insult my reading skills, I've supposed your reading skills are just as good as mine.

Everything I had posted are gathered based on what I had on records and informations exchanged between you and George.

Regardless, refund will issue back to your Pay-pal account today. We all move on separate ways. Thank you !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jittsl (Post 304697)
Hey Che, I guess you can't read either. I stated quite clearly above that I have 98 headers on my 98 Boxster. George (who i suspect is simply lieing to cover his arse) knew this as I told him this about 10 times. For the record (and if you had ever bothered to find out the difference you would know this) you cannot fit the test pipes from an 02 at all to a 98. The mounting flanges are upside down and it would not start to install. Did George show you the many photos I sent him?

I really don't care how many of these systems you have sold without complaint I know the following: the pipes you sent me do not fit on a 98 that is running stock headers (which is not to say that they don't work if they are installed with your headers). I have already sent an email to George that he verifies against a stock 98 cat because the ones you sent me end up installing with their terminations at different angles and different widths as well as hitting the bottom support member of the suspension.

I think in all fairness that you should explain what you mean by "we have nothing to hide and will stand up to our rights" and "subject to Our standard return policy". In my case it meant you keep your profit margin (as a 20% restocking fee charged to me) and that I should pay for transportation in both directions. WHO exactly is even considering my rights?

If you would like to get your facts straight and actually know what you are talking about before you put your BS up on the forum feel free to call me. You've always had my phone number. Until we have sorted this out I stand by everything I said in my original post.

Jittsl 09-05-2012 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by delubozparts (Post 304803)
No need to insult my reading skills, I've supposed your reading skills are just as good as mine.

Everything I had posted are gathered based on what I had on records and informations exchanged between you and George.

Regardless, refund will issue back to your Pay-pal account today. We all move on separate ways. Thank you !

I have no idea what you even mean by the the first paragraph so I will ignore it

Regarding your second paragraph: So now that you know different when do you plan to retract the misrepresentations? You must have figured out that the fault lies with your equipment and not with my 2.5 fitted with the stock headers and has nothing to do with me ordering the wrong parts. If not then look again at the photos I sent you.

Your third paragraph is a half truth as well isn't it? What you sent me was $41.32 short of a refund. If I add the $12 it cost me to return the goods to you that means, in all, I payed $53.32 for the pleasure of spending a couple of hours trying to fit the garbage you sent me. You also never bothered to offer any explanation as to what caused the pipes to not fit (other than the untruth that there is something wrong with my car). My guess is that they are already back on the shelf waiting for the next dumb bastard to order a set with you.

Good luck in the future with your business (term applied very loosely). I'm sure your very proud of what you probably see as a win. And yes we will be going our separate ways and so will everybody else I can persuade to look elsewhere.

delubozparts 09-05-2012 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jittsl (Post 304865)
I have no idea what you even mean by the the first paragraph so I will ignore it (You knew exactly what I meant :D)

Regarding your second paragraph: So now that you know different when do you plan to retract the misrepresentations? You must have figured out that the fault lies with your equipment and not with my 2.5 fitted with the stock headers and has nothing to do with me ordering the wrong parts. If not then look again at the photos I sent you.

(you can always represent something and to be misleading, arrest my case)

Your third paragraph is a half truth as well isn't it? What you sent me was $41.32 short of a refund. If I add the $12 it cost me to return the goods to you that means, in all, I payed $53.32 for the pleasure of spending a couple of hours trying to fit the garbage you sent me. You also never bothered to offer any explanation as to what caused the pipes to not fit (other than the untruth that there is something wrong with my car). My guess is that they are already back on the shelf waiting for the next dumb bastard to order a set with you.

(The return Test Pipes are all used & scratched up, Our return Policy stated clearly about 20% Re-stocking fees to cover our cost on shipping, Pay-pal fees etc.)

(All members on this forum are smart and educated, please don't insult members that had purchased or will purchase our products in future are dumb bastard :eek:)

Good luck in the future with your business (term applied very loosely). I'm sure your very proud of what you probably see as a win. And yes we will be going our separate ways and so will everybody else I can persuade to look elsewhere.

(Thank you, we don't need luck to stay in business for 17 years and still going. Our business are built upon trust and return customers by word of mouth referrals. Obviously not with you)

I'm done replying on this posting, you can post what ever you like to vent out.

Jittsl 09-05-2012 04:54 PM

Of course you don't want to post on this subject anymore. You are making yourself look pretty bad. Keep in mind that I have repeatedly ask you to call me and you chose to defend yourself on this forum.

I really shouldn't be surprised, but I am somehow, that you should resort to blatant lies. Are you now claiming that you kept my money because the pipes were all used and scratched? I mounted them so yes they probably have a few scratches on them but USED? I never started the motor so they are not used. Since I had them in my possession for less than a week they really must be crap if they got all used while sitting around in a box.

I really think you should make your return policy a lot clearer. What it should read is: If you buy our product, and you try to fit it, and it doesn't fit your car please return it and we will do nothing to help you and we will keep 20% of your money and we will insult both you and your car.

I know you do not want to reply but I would really love to hear just one last thing. Did the pipes I returned to you fit on a 98 Boxster when you tried and did you take photos? I still have not heard any explanation as to why they did not fit my car.

Oh and yes I will keep venting. As far as I am concerned you are either a fool or a thief and a lier and I will keep ranting until justice is served.