986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Squeal Solved --- sort of embarrassing, $700 lesson in diagnosis.... (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/37204-squeal-solved-sort-embarrassing-%24700-lesson-diagnosis.html)

black_box 09-02-2012 07:36 PM

Squeal Solved --- sort of embarrassing, $700 lesson in diagnosis....

So after going through hell and ripping out most of my hair, I found the issue that was causing all of the grief with my car (actually the 3rd issue on the clutch/IMS job). I was hitting my wit's end and took a diagnostic step that I should've done from the beginning.

I started listing on paper every conceivable way my car could be doing what I observed (loud squeaking from right-hand cylinder bank under engine load) with no regard to what I thought were known good parts, ranked them in order of difficulty to check, and then started down the list.

Even though I thought the noise was metal on metal or metal on plastic, I checked the spark plugs first. Turned out the #6 was a half turn shy of tight. How this happened I don't know, because I hadn't messed with them on this job.

I wish I'd done this first, instead of tearing out the transmission again and spending
$700 on a new flywheel and bearings!

Thanks to everyone who commented and gave suggestions as to how to find the problem. It's great having such a knowledgeable community of porschephiles to rely on for help.

Paul 09-02-2012 07:57 PM

Congrats in finding it, reminds me of a problem I had with the gas pedal stopping to work whenever it felt like it.

Dragonwind 09-03-2012 04:20 AM

Crap I completely forgot about these cars doing that! Glad you found it!

BruceH 09-03-2012 06:48 AM

Glad you found the problem! Off topic, I see you added Bluetooth to your CDR 220. What kit did you use? I am still trying to decide what to do about that. Thanks.

black_box 09-03-2012 07:47 AM

I used one of these: HQRP Audio cable Blaupunkt to 3.5MM fits Porsche Becker CDR-22 CR-220 CDR-220 on eBay! for input to radio, and then an aircast auot to get the BT signal (Belkin : AirCast Auto HandsFree).

Sound quality is great with engine off, but there's a bit of ignition noise that I have yet to filter out.

ccjazz 09-03-2012 07:54 AM

I've been following your threads with interest black box. Really happy to hear you found your problem.

katanihouse@shaw.ca 09-03-2012 11:33 AM

I've been following your threads as well BB as Iv'e got the same squeak. As I've told you earlier I've changed serp belt and next thing shop thought was water pump. Good thing I haven't got around to changing it yet. Thank you for all your posts and I hope your squeak free now!!

Bruce Wayne 09-03-2012 12:31 PM

great new BB !

glad to hear it's all come out good in the end.

:dance:

tommy583 09-04-2012 05:24 AM

I wanted to ask if you checked the plugs. The reason i didn't is because you didn't say anything about messing with them. So i figured i'd just come off as a moron. I'm glad you found your problem though. I had a loose plug this spring. It was the last thing i would have thought would be making a noise. Mostly because i just had the shop put in new ones. But since i never had a noise before i got the new plugs Ghost rider suggested i look there, low and behold he was right. Free fix.

shadrach74 09-04-2012 05:55 AM

I have never encountered this. My brother old Mazda 626 used to throw plugs pretty regularly. What about a loose plug actually causes a squeak?

katanihouse@shaw.ca 09-13-2012 05:47 PM

Want to thank you Black Box finally got around to checking plugs today and guess what? The squeal is gone #1 was loose. Thank you for posting thread and finding solution your a life saver.

black_box 09-14-2012 11:52 AM

hahaha, it's always gotta be something that makes you feel dumb in the end, right? Glad you got your Porsche back in shape, now go drive!

oldboxster 09-15-2012 02:48 AM

hi, I was following your struggle on another forum, tomk, and am amazed at the root cause, who would have thunk it. i've been a DIY guy for over 30 yrs , have a pretty extensive shop with a lift and I have to say that this one would have completely fooled me ! So, in the end you solved it, and your diagnostic skills have likely improved, even if you have an unneeded flywheel. i hope you get to enjoy your car now

smshirk 09-27-2012 10:02 AM

Do you have the stock dual mass flywheel as an extra. I've been running lightweight for awhile and tired of he racket I'm not going to do anything Intil I need a clutch but I wouldn't mind picking one up

black_box 09-27-2012 10:18 AM

PM sent, smshirk

particlewave 09-27-2012 10:23 AM

I have a similar squeak...will check the plugs.
Thanks for the work and info!

black_box 09-27-2012 11:08 AM

My boxster seems unusually prone to this type of problem... Solution is to use a torque wrench to tighten plugs, which I've never done with any other vehicle. Previously, I alway just got them finger tight, and then just a little more.

Jake Raby 09-27-2012 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smshirk (Post 307525)
Do you have the stock dual mass flywheel as an extra. I've been running lightweight for awhile and tired of he racket I'm not going to do anything Intil I need a clutch but I wouldn't mind picking one up

smshirk,
I told ya so!

Anyway, grab that flywheel and we can match the balance to your 3.6 FSI engine when the clutch is replaced :-)