986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Boxter electrical issue (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/37190-boxter-electrical-issue.html)

hwbell 09-01-2012 05:27 PM

Boxter electrical issue

I replaced burnt out bulbs in the rear light assemblies and found out that the right driving light will not work. I have 12 volts on the left for the marker and the driving but 12 volts only on the marker on the right. How far should I follow the wires back to check the problem?

Spinnaker 09-01-2012 08:03 PM

If you are talking about the rear fog light that lights up when you pull out the headlight switch 2 clicks, it only works on the left side for cars in the US. The socket on the right side is normally left empty on US based cars and does not have any power to it. It may be there so right hand drive countries can use the same taillight assembly but with a different wire harness.
If this is the case, then don't feel bad. I did the same thing when I first got my car 5 years ago.

Skrapmot 09-01-2012 08:27 PM

That one got me too at first, I was ready to take it back to the dealer, when someone mentioned it to me that was normal.

It's too bad , it would look better with both lights illuminated.

wawa 12-08-2012 04:49 AM

Aahhh thats Why! I've been searching whats wrong for the last hour ;-)

Anyone know a way to make it work? It would look better IMHO and be more visible too in snow storm.

Later
Chris

harryrcb 12-08-2012 05:27 AM

That's strange, my 04 works on both sides and has not been tampered with. As for yours I would guess they left the ground off on the back of the light unit. Put a bulb in it and try jumping from a good ground over to the light bulb. It could be the hot, try both then solder a piece of wire on to jump.

thom4782 12-08-2012 06:01 AM

This is just a guess. I'd bet the rear fog light is on one side only for three reasons: tradition, not to confuse others behind that the car is breaking, and regulation. Anybody know for sure.?

Meir 12-08-2012 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thom4782 (Post 319035)
This is just a guess. I'd bet the rear fog light is on one side only for three reasons: tradition, not to confuse others behind that the car is breaking, and regulation. Anybody know for sure.?

You are 100% right.
And Harry, the only way to do it, is to run a wire from the LH tail
Ight to the RH. I guess someone did a clean job on yours.

wawa 12-08-2012 04:45 PM

It is interesting. The socket is fonctionnal and the wire (grey and white) is also connected to the plug. But not power pass tru the wire. So it is not at the tail light the problem. From that I am now completely useless, I know nothing about electronic. Anyone would now where the grey/white wire from the tail light plug goes and where it should be connect to have power when fog light switch is turn on? I dont feel like running a wire from one side to the other. Since there is already a wire connected at the plug, it must be possible to connect the other end where it should be connect. My guest is everything is in place for it to work, depending if its a right hand drive, or a left hand drive.

later
Chris

BYprodriver 12-08-2012 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thom4782 (Post 319035)

Which side the rear fog light is functional depends upon which side of the road the cars drive on.