Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2012, 08:12 AM   #1

Garage
desnork

desnoekled my 04 boxster S spyder with very little difference if any. Ordered a K&N to see if it will add anything and will probably go for pedro's intake mod as well. The sound on the special edition spyder is somewhat better than the stock S anyway, but I need just a little more sound and additional HP would be ok too.

mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:08 AM   #2

Your post got me thinking... (<- always dangerous...)

Perhaps the best and the cheapest way to improve the sound is to burn it to a CD and play loud.
mikehkang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 04:43 PM   #3

I would stay away from a K&N Filter. I like K&N for my carbureted motorcycle, but these filters need to be oiled to work correctly, and the oil can then end up on the MAF sensor which will cause a loss in power.

There are many stories from M3 guys who have done this, and then found a big gain in performance only after cleaning their MAF. At least those guys can get to their MAF easily.

986S
991S
Van Diemen RF97
LAP1DOUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:39 AM   #4

Garage
You know, I hear that, but I have used them on probably a dozen different kinds of cars, trucks and motorcycles and never had a problem with the MAF. I have had one on my 996 for about 30K+ miles and only cleaned the MAF once during routine maintenance with no problem. I am sure that there are those that over oil and create the problem, but I clean them often and well and oil them just as K&N advises and have been very pleased with them. I could be wrong and the boxster may be more prone to having a problem than any other vehicle, but I have to try it and will report back on results. I have one coming and it fits both my o4 boxster and my 08 boxster so I will try it in both.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 01:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehkang View Post
Your post got me thinking... (<- always dangerous...)

Perhaps the best and the cheapest way to improve the sound is to burn it to a CD and play loud.
You want one of these: SoundRacer