986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Cheap easy HP gains? (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/36975-cheap-easy-hp-gains.html)

shadowprincess25 08-21-2012 08:48 AM

Cheap easy HP gains?

Usually installed some kind of awesome new intake on other cars helps it make a few more HP after all the more the engine can breath the better it can power my wheels.

So what are the cheap easy mods I can do to increase the HP or possibly increase my gas mileage.

JFP in PA 08-21-2012 09:10 AM

There aren't any.....................

mountainman 08-21-2012 09:20 AM

Cheap is relative, but Porsches are engineered to perform well and be reliable too, so any horsepower you add will not be cheap and it will only be a few here and a few there. I have found cold air intake and exhaust are the most for your money

Eric G 08-21-2012 10:14 AM

Desnorkle it (Use this link it works great and takes 10 minutes 10min. Boxster "de-snorkel" Hack! :: Car & Lifestyle Forum)

Change the exhaust.

You can do the Crios exhaust mod: http://986forum.com/forums/diy-project-guides/19770-diy-exhaust-mod-%96-gain-10-hp.html

Plus some other useful tips other members have posted that I saved.

Hacks - Boxster Tech

Greg's Boxster Hacks

Boxster S By-Pass Muffler Done!!!! - Pelican Parts Technical BBS

Make the Pedro Sport Exhaust

shadowprincess25 08-21-2012 10:21 AM

Desnorkle looks awesome. Why is it in there to begin with?

Also thanks for the links Eric.

tonycarreon 08-21-2012 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadowprincess25 (Post 302547)
Desnorkle looks awesome. Why is it in there to begin with?

reduce the noise coming from the engine. you won't get any (appreciable) hp gains. there's some debate (1 hp) but i didn't notice anything other than a deeper exhaust noise.

boxster de snork - YouTube

JFP in PA 08-21-2012 10:42 AM

"Res ipsa loquitur"; not one of the ideas mentioned will add power, they will simply make the car louder and your wallet easier to sit on, and in some cases will actually rob output.

There is no such thing as a free lunch.................

shadowprincess25 08-21-2012 10:48 AM

I do love a better sounding engine. I was also looking at the exhaust mod, but I might have a guy friend do that for me I don't feel comfortable drilling my exhaust. I'd love if it had more grunt. It does sound pretty good now so I guess I'll have to watch more youtube videos of Boxster exhausts.

AndyA6 08-21-2012 10:51 AM

Do a little search here, there are a few topics discussing your question.
-snorkel
-UD pulley
-exhaust
-TB
-bypass pipes
-ECU tune
to name a few.

Ghostrider 310 08-21-2012 10:54 AM

Underpulley is the most noticeable mod IMO, I'd put headers second but they can make some head bolt problems when you install them.

shadowprincess25 08-21-2012 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndyA6 (Post 302554)
Do a little search here, there are a few topics discussing your question.
-snorkel
-UD pulley
-exhaust
-TB
-bypass pipes
-ECU tune
to name a few.

Problem was, I didn't know what to search for, but this list gives me a place to start.

Ghostrider 310 08-21-2012 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shadowprincess25 (Post 302560)
Problem was, I didn't know what to search for, but this list gives me a place to start.

Was just looking in the garage there, I'm curious didn't you go Pcar shopping before you bought a 2011 Camaro or did you end up with it in another way? After that ride acceleration in the 986 is going to feel lessened, it's cool that you report the 03 Boxster feels better in a corner than a 2011 Camaro, not shocking mind you given the difference in platforms.

j.fro 08-21-2012 11:45 AM

"There aren't any..................... "
+1
Having done almost all the common mods, I concur. However, there are many expensive, difficult mods that can make the Boxster quite speedy!
A couple of questions to ask yourself before digging in:
1. How much street drivability are you willing to give up?
2. Are you going racing? (Are there any class restrictions?)
3. How long are you planning to keep the car?
4. How much resale value are you willing to lose?

Bruce Wayne 08-21-2012 12:07 PM

probably an ecu remap.. it seems here in the UK versions it'll grant a few hp and a few ft.lbs of torque for a couple of hundred and if they back up your old ecu profile it can be reversed easily.

here you go SP25.. fill yer boots.... Porsche Cayman & Boxster ECU Tuning « Softronic ECU Flash Tuning

Eric G 08-21-2012 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 302551)
"Res ipsa loquitur"; not one of the ideas mentioned will add power, they will simply make the car louder and your wallet easier to sit on, and in some cases will actually rob output.

There is no such thing as a free lunch.................

Truth is spoken here:cheers:

...but in the same vein, when I was once asked "why do you speed between lights, you don't get through them any faster" I responded with "true, but it sure feels that way and that's all that matters".:cheers:

shadowprincess25 08-21-2012 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 (Post 302567)
Was just looking in the garage there, I'm curious didn't you go Pcar shopping before you bought a 2011 Camaro or did you end up with it in another way? After that ride acceleration in the 986 is going to feel lessened, it's cool that you report the 03 Boxster feels better in a corner than a 2011 Camaro, not shocking mind you given the difference in platforms.

I owned a V6 Camaro. It was a great car, but my boxster is just a better sports car. Not to mention just the badge alone give me more street cred. I knew I wanted a Porsche Boxster it was just a matter of when I was gonna get it. I wanted a Lotus for the longest time but when I learned that they didn't have any creature comforts I said to hell with that, Boxster is faster, quieter, more comfortable and I have AC :)

I wanted something a bit, faster or at least better handling which is why I ended up trading for the Porsche.

On the terms of what kind of drivablity, well it's a daily and my only car so um it needs to be smooth. I guess mostly I was looking for cold air intake and simple exhaust mods. Those always make the car sound more awesome and are usually pretty cheap to do and require very little strength on my part.

Bruce Wayne 08-21-2012 01:07 PM

by the way SP25... lapis blue.. nice choice !

Uller God 08-21-2012 01:19 PM

Best way to gain HP on the cheap is to upgrade to an "S" model.

Johnny Danger 08-21-2012 01:23 PM

With the exception of cherry Chapstick, there's no inexpensive way to improve the performance of a boxster .

ekam 08-21-2012 01:46 PM

Drop the latte and go to the gym.