Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2005, 06:52 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to blakey Send a message via MSN to blakey
trouble shifting gear

hi folks... new member here and seeking some urgent advce on a gear shift problem. car is a year 2000 2.7, the car shifts gear perfectly o.k at low engine r.p.m but as soon as you start to turn on the power and shift up the gears it becomes realy difficuilt to shift gear and can take up to 2- 3 seconds to snick in to the next gear........

is this a simple clutch bleed problem or something more sinister developing

your thoughts please and thanks in advance

....steve

blakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 08:12 AM   #2

A good clutch bleed is a great (and cheap) place to start. Whatever it ends up being, you need to take care of it quick. The tranny is not repairable so if there's any damage caused it ends up a replacement job.

How many miles do you have on it?
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 10:02 AM   #3

thanks very much delirious, i'll be trying the clutch bleed this weekend.... does anyone else have any ideas........?

or am i clutching at straws

thanks ......

steve..........
Old 09-13-2005, 10:03 AM   #4

almost forgot, it has 60,000 miles on the dial...
Old 09-13-2005, 01:09 PM   #5

If it's got 60k on the original clutch, that may be your issue. It grabs at lower RPM's, but can't at higher revs.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2005, 08:12 PM   #6

I'm with Randall with the 60K mile info. You're probably running toward the end of clutch disc. If that's the case and you have it done, make sure you replace the pilot and release bearings at the very least with the clutch plate.
Old 09-14-2005, 07:48 AM   #7

thanks for the advice folks....... going to bleed the clutch this weekend and if its no better i'll order a complete clutch assy (£245).

john, i remember using the pics and info from your website when i replaced the window winder mechanism last november, it was invaluable. a very well put together article.... your a god.

thanks......

steve
Old 09-14-2005, 08:06 AM   #8

I was checking out the DIY as well. I'll have to get all that change out of my ashtray ASAP!
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2005, 05:22 AM   #9

on my to work this morning ( didnt even get chance to bleed the slave cylinder) i put my clutch in and hey presto...... the slave cylinder has gone completely (i hope its that ).... not had chance to check it out yet, i just got the car towed home. a new one is on order......... i'll keep you posted....

thanks once again for your help and advice......
Old 09-19-2005, 12:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakey
on my to work this morning ( didnt even get chance to bleed the slave cylinder) i put my clutch in and hey presto...... the slave cylinder has gone completely (i hope its that ).... not had chance to check it out yet, i just got the car towed home. a new one is on order......... i'll keep you posted....

thanks once again for your help and advice......
When you say "gone completely", what's the symptom? Is the pedal going to the floor and staying there or you just can't get it into gear?

Since I haven't worked on the 986 clutch yet, I'm going by my knowledge of the 928 clutch since they should be similar. With the 928, if there's a problem with either the slave or master cylinder such as a bad seal or air in the hydraulics, the pedal will go to the floor and not return. There is a pressure spring that pulls the pedal down to make it easier for you to push it in. The opposite hydraulic pressure (caused by the pressure plate pushing the clutch arm against the slave cylinder rod) pushes the pedal back up. When there's a breach or large air bubble built up in the system, there's not enough pressure to push it back up against that spring. A small bubble will cause the problem you listed before of the the clutch arm not being pushed far enough back to disengage the gears so you can shift.

If your pedal is still pushing to the floor and returning up without any problems, you probably have a worn release bearing and/or the release bearing is not sliding on the drive shaft properly or a worn clutch arm cup. I doubt that's a hydraulic problem. If the clutch arm cup wears, it will cause the clutch assembly to shift and mis-align the angles along the drive shaft. Same thing if the release bearing wears. When that happens, things can't move like they are supposed to.

Just thinking out loud.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:07 AM   #11

In Garage On Friday

Hi john.........

the pedal goes straight to the floor with with very little pressure required to press it, it comes back up on its own, i guess thats just spring pressure from the pedal doing that....?

i fitted a new slave cylinder and the fault is still there. the cars going in to the garage on friday, it does sound like a release bearing / sliding failure.....

i'll keep you posted..... thanks again for your advice and info..

steve