986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Luggage Compartments Are Quite Warm (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/3608-luggage-compartments-quite-warm.html)

Mr. Boone 09-05-2005 08:59 AM

Luggage Compartments Are Quite Warm

I guess this is nNormal?? One could keep bread warm for hours in the luggage compartments of my 2002 S. I don't suppose there is anyway arround it but I cringe everytime I put my laptop in the trunck knowing how hot it is going to get. Anyone measured the temp. in the trunks??

Richard Truss 09-05-2005 10:30 AM

both are warm, but the rear trunk should be MUCH hotter than the front -- due to the engine sitting right next to it. If the front trunk is equally as hot, you should have a pro look at your car to see what gives.

Jeph 09-05-2005 10:30 AM

Common Boxster Knowledge

The temperature is exactly 104.2 degrees, always*!

*Ya see, that's the perfect serving temperature for Bratwurst, Wieners, & Kassler. Originally the Boxster was designed for transporting such goods to the Oktoberfests that would last year round. Keeping the food warm and having it arrive quickly was of the utmost importance. It should also be noted that shipping in small quantities is essential to keeping a unique flavor. That's why the rear trunks are so small! Sometimes in Germany you can see drivers driving with an ovenmit on their right hand so they can jump out of the car and run to the trunk to get the goodness out in a timely -and heated, fashion. Because they wore an ovenmit while they drove, it only made sense to put the ignition switch on the left side (because as I'm SURE you have experienced, it's hard to start a car while wearing an ovenmit).

One more sidenote, "ster" is German slang for "food," and box means box. So the literal translation of BOXSTER is actually box of food, or "food box."

I think this should adaquately answer all your queries.

Now you know, and knowing is half the battle -G.I. Joe

RandallNeighbour 09-05-2005 10:58 AM

Mr. Boone, the rear trunk on my 97 was so hot that it melted my gum-soled shoes together on a long road trip I took this summer!

The laptop bag should go in the footwell of the passenger compartment when you're going to and from work alone. When I have a passenger and my laptop, it goes in the front trunk, where it is far less hot.

I don't think the rear trunk gets hot from the engine... it's the cats, exhaust and muffler that do it. These are located directly under the rear trunk space and heat rises.

You'll appreciate it when you have a 30+ minute drive to your friend's house and the wife has a casserole back there. My wife thinks this "warming oven" in my Porsche is super. However, hauling ice home from the store in the back trunk is not a good idea as I have learned first hand. :eek:

Mr. Boone 09-05-2005 01:29 PM

Thanks to all and especially to RhandallNeighbor for his excellently crafted FAQ page. I have now read the whole thing an it has answered many of my questions. Lots of good knowledge there. I'll switch the laptop to the front compartment. It also gets a tad warm due the the close proximity of the large radiators fitted in this local..... not near as hot as the rear trunk though. Yes you are right, the Cats are right underneith the trunk and give off heat for hours after use.......

In fact my car will ooze heat out all night long keeping my garage quite toasty.......

That’s quite sense of humor you have their Jeph.......

bgbgbg 09-11-2005 05:54 AM

Jeph.....

Isn't 104.2 the temp at which Beck's is made? :cool: :cheers:

Rail26 09-11-2005 08:00 PM

Food Box....Now I have heard everything. Pork sandwiches!!!!