Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2005, 11:24 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Best Investment for your Boxster.

What would you guys consider the best investment/enhancement you have done to your boxster? Any part,any price.

blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 11:40 AM   #2

I have to say that a new set of wheels are a must. Second, you have to change the orange lights to the clear lense lights all around your car. Last but not least, you have to swap the exhaust with an aftermarket exhaust, or better yet, the PSE.
airbox1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 11:41 AM   #3

New stereo system, including rear speakers. Huge difference in sound quality between the Alpine unit I have now and the CDR210 I had before. The rear speaker shelf also makes a huge difference.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 11:46 AM   #4

" The rear speaker shelf also makes a huge difference."

Yes, sound systems and the right wheels are really a must!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 12:00 PM   #5

investment

I'm not sure if it's the best investment, but adding the rear speakers was a big boost to the overall quailty of the audio system.

Should be standard.
BoxsterSbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 01:11 PM   #6

Where could i find the rear speakers for a decent price? How much will installation go for on those?
Old 09-27-2005, 01:14 PM   #7

Hi,

Interesting, if not surprising, responses to date - all about Dress-up or Creature Comfort, guess I didn't expect that from a bunch of Enthusiasts.

I'd say the single geatest investment/enhancement I've made on my Boxster was the addition of Front and Rear Strut Tower Braces.

They greatly improved the Handling, while increasing Rigidity, which totally eliminated all rattles (I know the Boxster is one of the most rigid Convertibles out there, but add these Braces and find out how much of a Wet Noodle it really is). It also reduced the Body Roll significantly as well.

It wasn't the first Mod I did to the car (I've done the Rear Speaker install, OBC Hack w/ 4th stalk, Euro Side Marker Hack, Garage Opener Hack, installed Fire Extinguisher and Bracket, installed Illuminated Sun Visors, intergrated Cup Holders, De-Snorkel hack). But it was definitely the one with the most Bang for the Buck. It would be the first Mod I would suggest to anyone, the results are amazing!

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 09-27-2005 at 01:23 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 01:26 PM   #8

Hi, what brand strut supports did you use, and do you have any pix of the install?

bob
BoxsterSbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 01:33 PM   #9

An extended warranty!

I got the "new car extended warranty" from the dealer while I was still on the original new car warranty. If I had waited for the original to expire, I would not be eligible for it and would have to consider a u"sed car warranty" with much less coverage at the same price.
xavier405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 01:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterSbob
Hi, what brand strut supports did you use, and do you have any pix of the install?

bob
Hi,

No Pix, but it's about as straightforward as you can get.

The Braces I got were made by Racing Dynamics. They are all pretty generic, a pair of billet-cut brackets, a couple Heim Joints with a Bar (Round Stock) in-between. You can choose between Alloy and CF for the Bar, but the minimal weight difference and the fact that they're totally hidden rules against paying the premium $$ for the CF.

To install have the Car on a level surface, then for the Front Brace, you remove the Battery Cover and both Side Covers (need a T-25 Torx Driver for this) exposing the Strut tops. Then you loosen the Battery hold-down, in case you need to move it a little (I'd disconnect the (+) Terminal also - be sure you have your Radio Code). Now, you Dry Fit the brace so you know which 2 of the 3 Strut nuts to remove (you only want to remove these two, or you loose the Camber setting if you loosen all 3). Then, using a 13mm socket, remove the required 2 (to a side) Strut nuts. Set in the brace and replace the 13mm Strut Nuts (tightening to 26 ft.-lbs., be exact, these will snap off from too much torque). Then, twist the Brace to elongate it 'til it won't turn anymore, tighten locknuts on Brace (17mm). Now, replace the (+) cable, tighten the Battery back down, replace the Side Covers and Battery Cover. You're Done. Start-to-Finish, maybe 10 min.

For the Rear Brace, start with Car on level surface. Raise top to Service position (this exposes the Strut Tops). Dry Fit the Brace, like before. Remove the 2 Strut Nuts, like before, using a 13mm socket. Fit Brace in place, replace and torque Strut Nuts to 26 Ft.-Lbs., twist Brace to elongate it until it stops, tighten Locknuts on Brace (17mm), return top to normal position. You're Done. Start-to-Finish...10 min.

Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99
Old 09-27-2005, 01:50 PM   #11

I guess I'm just boring.

The best "investment" for my Boxster is the cover, windshield reflector and soon to be tinted windows. I guess it comes from owning an older P-car and seeing what the sun does to it over time, even when it's garaged. Tons of work fixing dash cracks and hard leather seats or $$$$ if you have someone else do it.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 03:48 PM   #12

Only done 1 mod to the car - B&M shifter. Makes me feel like I'm driving a different car.
Factory side skirts
18" turbo look wheels
Painted roll bars and centre console
Alumimum shifter and handbrakes
Litronic lights
B&M short shifter
Evo air intake
Turbo look bumper with C4S lip
Borla muffler
2nd Cat bypass pipes
nastyboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 04:24 PM   #13

John, reconsider tinting the windows. I have very dark side windows and it looks stupid when you drive down the road topdown with the windows up to deflect wind. Well, that's my opinion anyway.

Now when the top is up on my 3x black box, the tint look stealthy... it's limo tint black. But I rarely drive this way.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 04:52 PM   #14

I'm putting on the light color tint with high UV protection. It won't be black or mirror. It should look close to the same....I hope.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:37 PM   #15

Advanced maintenance by my Porsche Master Tech Friend and Front nose & Mirror Bra.
spine911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 06:20 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by deliriousga
I'm putting on the light color tint with high UV protection. It won't be black or mirror. It should look close to the same....I hope.
Hi,

I read somewhere (can't remember the source, but did write some notes), that Porsche Automotive Glass already has UV protective layers laminated in the Side Window Glass. That it provides 95% UV Protection. The two transparent UV Laminates are called Vanceva and Saflex. This would seem to make tinting, for UV protection anyway, redundant. Anyone else come across this, say in some Sales or Tech Literature?

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99
Old 09-27-2005, 06:55 PM   #17

I concur with Jim. The existing tint on the Box is quite superior in anti UV and anti heat properties.
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 07:56 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
I concur with Jim. The existing tint on the Box is quite superior in anti UV and anti heat properties.
Cool!! That'll save me some bucks. What about the front window? The same stuff can go on it and it looks like clear glass. That's the part I'm most concerned with since the German dashes crack so easily.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:33 PM   #19

Does anyone know if the 99 boxsters came with UV protection? If so which windows?
Old 09-27-2005, 08:37 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by deliriousga
Cool!! That'll save me some bucks. What about the front window? The same stuff can go on it and it looks like clear glass. That's the part I'm most concerned with since the German dashes crack so easily.
John,

I don't remember my source specifically listing the Windshield. But, considering that it's a convertible, I suspect that tinting it would be analogous to fighting a Forest Fire with a Garden Hose.

If it were me, I would (and do) use some Dash Protectant with UV protection (I use 3M Vinyl Care and/or Zaino Vinyl Care, both of which contain UV protection), and for those times when the car is parked Outdoors, Top Up, I would (and do) use the Porshe Sunshade. It is easy to deploy and fits neatly folded in the stowage pocket behind the Passenger seat, giving easy access from the Driver Seat. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99