Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2005, 04:17 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
good spark plugs

I recently bought a 99 boxster from a private party and im planing on slowly replacing all basic parts that periodically need to be replaced i.e. spark plugs,oil,air filter,oil filter, fuel filter. Does anyone recommend any good spark plugs and where I can buy them from? Are the spark plugs fairly easy to get to and change?

blinkwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 04:30 PM   #2

Hi,

The Boxster comes either with Bosch or Beru Spark Plugs. Both are equally good, and were used interchangeably at the Factory. I don't believe that any of the Fancy Plugs out there offer any advantages over OEM, and the Platinum Plugs are a definite No-No.

The OEM plugs are not readily available from local sources such as NAPA, PepBoys, etc. You can get them at a Dealer for a premium - usually $6-$10 @.

The Bosch Plugs (Bosch SuperŪ # FR7LDC4) are currently on sale for $3.19@ here: http://shop.store.yahoo.com/eagleday/993bilovaco.html

They're listed on the site as Bosch Platinum, but they're not, it's a Typo. I ordered 2 sets to better ammortize the S/H costs. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 05:43 PM   #3

Hmmm, why not platimum?
I whent down to my local shop(reputable) and they sold me Bosch Platinum 4 spark plugs.
I have not put them on yet.
The only time I ever heard of not useing platinum plugs was in a heavly boosted engine. I also, thought they were platinum from the factory as cooper plugs will not last to 90,000 miles witch is when I understand they are to be changed.
Am I wrong??

Richard
my89_928gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 06:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by my89_928gt
Hmmm, why not platimum?
I whent down to my local shop(reputable) and they sold me Bosch Platinum 4 spark plugs.
The only time I ever heard of not useing platinum plugs was in a heavly boosted engine. I also, thought they were platinum from the factory as cooper plugs will not last to 90,000 miles witch is when I understand they are to be changed.
Am I wrong??

Richard
Hi,

I believe that the newer Boxsters use a different plug than the early non-egas models. These have double contacts as opposed to 4 of them. More isn't necessarilty better as you effectively divide the Spark Energy from the coil resulting in a less energetic spark. This is a trade-off over the single Annode Plugs which may be oriented the wrong way when properly Torqued for proper FlameFront Travel (Racers and HotRodders often use spacers to insure the Spark is oriented in the proper place relative to the Piston Face).

I have heard from 2 different Porsche Techs that they have seen engine damage from the Platinum Tips coming loose and rattling around in the cylinders. One mentioned a TSB cautioning their use, although I have never seen it and don't have the TSB #.

Platinum tips offer Nothing in terms of added performance. Their strength is that they last longer. Personally, I believe this is a false economy - to save a few bucks on Spark Plugs. For the non-egas engines at least, Porsche specs a Cu (Copper) Cathode (Center Electrode).

There is perhaps no other Maintenance you can perform on a Porsche which is as cheap and easy as changing the Plugs. Changing the plugs more regularly (I install a fresh set every season - mine's a seasonal car) insures that the insulators are not cracked and allows me to see the condition of the ECU/Fuel System by reading the Plugs. Many slight malfunctions can be accomodated by the ECU, such as a slight lean condition, or Spark arcing, which will be otherwise unnoticable.

Also, an AfterMarket Plug must have the proper Heat Rating. It is a common misconception that this Heat Rating relates to the car's ignition, that a hotter spark is produced using a Hotter Plug. In fact, this rating is a measure of how much heat the plug removes from the cylinder (ever notice how they're similar to a Heat Sink?) to be carried away by the Coolant flowing through the Head. This is a function of the length of the Ceramic Insulator (a longer one is termed a Cooler Plug (because it can carry away less heat) and vice-versa). Each Heat Range Value for a plug approximate it's ability to remove between 70°C - 100°C of Heat. In addition to carrying away the proper amount of heat, the correct Heat Range insures that the Plug operates at it's predesigned Self-Cleaning Temperature which prevents it from fouling due to combustion deposits condensing on it.

Longer lasting Plugs were concieved for those driving everyday vehicles, non-enthusiasts who didn't, or couldn't do their own maintenance. My suggestion is to replace every 10k mi., such as when Changing the Oil. Many will disagree, but considering the ease and minimal cost of changing them, it certainly won't hurt, but may in fact help for the reasons I've already described.

One final caution - Plug Gapping. Even though many Plugs now come pre-gapped, Manufacturing Tolerances and the possible abuse in Transportation and Distribution warrant checking them prior to installation. They are notoriously off. The 12 Plugs I just recently purchased were improperly gapped in 4 instances. That's more than 30% error rate.

Happy Motoring!...Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 09-25-2005 at 06:47 PM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 01:48 PM   #5

Go Stock. No performance difference from aftermarkets and your car just might not like aftermarket plugs. Easy to change. Jack up rear corner of car...remove wheel...remove liner...remove coil pack...remove plug...reverse order paying attention to torque specs. Search for these as I do not have them handy.
Old 09-26-2005, 05:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by my89_928gt
Hmmm, why not platimum?
Am I wrong??

Richard
It's similar to the problem of using the platinum plugs in the 928. There's high compression and heat. The regular Bosch +4 plugs don't have a high enough heat rating to discipate the heat causing build-up and possible melting tips. Check out the 928 forum on rennlist.com if you want more info from people who have had this happen to them. I ordered the right ones and they are being replaced whenever they get here.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 07:32 AM   #7

Well, I'm glad I did not put them in. I'm going to bring them back and get the Copper plugs.

Richard

my89_928gt is offline   Reply With Quote