Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2012, 09:13 AM   #1

Garage
headlight trim for boxster 1998

My new/old boxster Max 1998 needs the gaskets/rubber to circles the headlight assembly-anyone know where to get a pair?

ljt_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:04 PM   #2

I got a pair here: Nineapart Home - Used Porsche Parts - Porsche Recycling Facility

They are a disassembler in Toronto and I paid $60 each for them plus shipping.

I don't think you can buy just the seals from Porsche. It isn't shown as a separate piece in my catalog. Kinda sucks to have to buy a whole headlight because the rubber seal rotted away.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:15 PM   #3

Garage
That was fast thank you Mark will contact them-
LARRY
Old 06-09-2012, 04:09 PM   #4

This place would be a lot closer to you. Not to mention cheaper shipping, duties etc.

Oklahoma Foreign- Used Porsche Parts. From early to late models, 356, 914, 911, 930, 944, 928, 968, 993 & boxsters.
brian325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:37 PM   #5

Garage
I'm having the same issue with my headlight gaskets, i.e. turning into mush.
I was wondering if someone tried to just replace the original gaskets with some standard O-ring cord? The cord can be spliced into an O-ring by cutting it and gluing it together with super glue.
nieuwhzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 01:20 AM   #6

Me too. Too lazy at the moment to take out the headlight to see what shape the rubber trim is to find a replacement that will work. Had the same problem with not finding it listed in the parts lists. The independent shop couldn't find it either. If I find something that will work I will post it here. I'm sure we aren't the only ones experiencing this. There are some weather strip makers that make restoration parts that might have something that we can make work.
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:19 AM   #7

Garage
I think that is what was tried with mine and then it melted larry
Old 06-10-2012, 08:22 AM   #8

Wow. Poor Larry! Melting is a tough way to go.

Seriously though, I have a pair of amber style headlights in good condition (incl. corner lenses), with perfect seals that I would sell for $250 +s&h for the pair. If someone wanted just the seals it's still $250 but the shipping would be a whole lot cheaper. Not a cheap solution, but an option if they can't be sourced from a wrecker.

Last edited by Mark_T; 06-10-2012 at 08:34 AM.
Mark_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:30 PM   #9

Pulled out the headlights today and this is what I found when I peeled back the gasket to see what the cross section looked like. There are part numbers on the inside edge if you look at the section that is nearest the frunk line.
Passenger side 996.631.172.00
Drivers side 996.631.171.00

Did a search on Pelican, Autohauz, ********************************************, with no results.
Sent a parts request to Sunset Porsche.

Anyone have a connection with Bosch?
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Old 06-13-2012, 10:19 AM   #10

Garage
oklahoma-they don't have the part-seems to be part of the headlight assembly=going to keep trying-larry
Old 06-13-2012, 11:16 AM   #11

I've been down this road. Unless things have changed, you can't get them as a separate part from Porsche and very few disassemblers will sell them separately unless, perhaps, the headlight itself is smashed and the seal is still good. Even when they will sell them, they know exactly what they have and they charge a nominal egg for them.
Old 06-13-2012, 11:24 AM   #12

Garage
No luck the guy in Canada said no go and if they had them it would be $150 each-Mark your light essemblys is a bargain but i don't need them that bad-oh well-Larry
I also need a wind deflecter and will have the same problem
Old 06-13-2012, 12:04 PM   #13

I have a part request search going on at one of the restoration weather strip suppliers. Let's see if they come up with anything that might work. I have some ideas for a substitute seal that might work if nothing else is found.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:26 PM   #14

Got the reply from Sunset Porsche.

"I looked into the headlight gaskets for your 2000 Boxster S, and checked the part numbers that you provided. Unfortunately the part numbers that were provided are not good Porsche part numbers. Porsche also does not sell just the headlight gaskets for your headlights."

On to plan B, and C, or maybe even D. I'll find something that will work as a substitute. What the heck, I haven't got anything else to do since I replaced the water pump.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:12 PM   #15

My offer stands. $250 for a pair of seals, and I'll even pick up the shipping.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:09 AM   #16

Garage
Headlight trim

Thanks for the offer Mark but I will use the money for a two piece bra and hide the offending item-Larry
Old 06-15-2012, 08:56 AM   #17

Well Larry, I'm not saying you should buy my seals, but I think you ought to buy somebody's seals. The rotten seals aren't just unsightly, they will also allow water to pass by. and that bra is going to fk up your paint finish. Your car, your cash, your call, but there's my two cents worth.

Maybe someone will be selling a pair of headlights with good seals cheaper, or (and here's the brainwave) pm some of the peeps that have smashed up the front of their cars and buy their broken headlights really cheap. I'm sure there's a way to get some seals without having to fork out crazy money.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:07 PM   #18

I don't think the rubber trim is there to seal the joint from water intrusion. The front edge of the headlight is not sealed and will let plenty of water in. Any water that gets in will just pass on down and drain out where the radiator air exits.
My take on what it does is to provide a cushion between the fender opening and the headlight assembly. This will prevent the paint on the flange from getting worn and the plastic edge of the headlight from developing stress cracks on its mating edge from contact with the fender.
FYI, no response yet from the restoration weather strip company.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:37 PM   #19

Garage
headlight trim

Gentleman I appreciate your responses and as I live in Arizona the rain is not a problem much-I hope to have car ready for Porsche weekend in San Luis Opisbo in July-Larry
Old 06-15-2012, 06:37 PM   #20

Ah yes, it's a drryyyy heat.