Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2005, 02:38 PM   #1
bmussatti

Wheel Spacers

Porsche offers a 5mm wheel spacer option (XRP) for the 2006 Boxster S. My question is, how will this improve performance? Thanks.

Old 09-02-2005, 04:29 AM   #2

5mm isn't going to provide much better performance. With a wider track, your cornering should be a little better since the center of gravity is lowered a tiny bit. I don't know that you'll notice it much, but I also don't believe you can have any larger spacers in front.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 07:37 AM   #3

There was another thread or two about spacers recently. Including a fellow with a fairly radical spacer thickness and he lowered his car to boot. Apparently no rubbing. Do a search.

I was thinking about getting some too, more for the nice filled out wheel well effect rather than much improvement on performance.

But I was surprised at how expensive they were for what I feel is an aluminum disk with holes drilled in it.

If you find some inexpensive spacers, let us know how well it worked out.
socratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 08:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by socratic
But I was surprised at how expensive they were for what I feel is an aluminum disk with holes drilled in it.
Oooh, ooh, I know that one! "An aluminum disk with holes drilled in it.......made for a Porsche."
Old 09-02-2005, 09:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by deliriousga
Oooh, ooh, I know that one! "An aluminum disk with holes drilled in it.......made for a Porsche."
I'm not serious about this and just to provoke some discussion:

What would be the problem of putting a stack of washers on each wheel lug bolt to simulate the spacing effect of washers????

I was actually going to try this!

This way, you can experiment with small incremental (washer-thickness) increases by adding a washer at a time and seeing the effect (on the appearance at least). It might cost me like maybe $5 or $10 for a bagful of washers rather than send away for like $400 worth of spacers only to find out that it still doesn't look right.

...of course I would never drive with them on....

--But COULD you drive with them on???
socratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 10:29 AM   #6

Since the washers are completely independent, I think it would stress the studs too much. They can shift and bend on each stud where one piece with holes in it would try to shift on all 5 at once. I think they'd be fine for seeing what it would look like without driving, though.

One thing you can try is buying several thin disks. I've seen several for about $12 each that fit Boxsters and are 4mm-5mm thick. Just for the look, you can put them on with the original studs and see what it looks like at different depths. You would have to get new studs long enough to hold the spacers before you could actually mount them and use them.

There are also "adapters" that are much easier to install since you don't have to remove the studs to do it. They bolt on to the original studs and have their own studs built in for mounting the tire. They are a solid piece rather than several stacked disks. They tend to be less expensive too.