986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Powerchip for my 01 boxster S (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/3555-powerchip-my-01-boxster-s.html)

airbox1 08-29-2005 09:59 PM

Powerchip for my 01 boxster S

i went to a local porsche dealership for a new shifter. while i was waiting, i decided to test drive an 02 boxster S with a porsche sport muffler. the throttle response was instantaneous. i loved it. i can't really say my 01 boxster s and several other boxster S's that i test drived are the same. so i went home and ordered a porsche sport muffler. after installing it and driving it for several weeks, the throttle response hasn't improved. therefore, my next logical upgrade is the chip. is there anybody out there knows about the powerchip and if it is a good idea? btw, it costs about 1k. thanks.

rctboxsters 08-29-2005 10:07 PM

Where did you buy the PSM? I've been searching for one also. Suncoast listed it at $ 1600.00. I don't want to pay that much just for the sound improvement.

Richard

airbox1 08-30-2005 10:31 AM

i got it from brandywine porsche for 1200 shipped. they have parts on ebay all the time. their number is (610) 886-1000. give them a call.

KRZTACO 08-30-2005 11:25 AM

I looked at powerchip then decided to go with REVO Technik software instead. Revo's software is flash loaded meaning NO swapping of computers, or soldering in a new chip such as power chip.

You can even have a FREE 4hour test program of the REVO installed! I tried the FREE trial and loved it. Improved throttle response and noticable more power. Plus it only took 15 minutes to install at the shop www.herg.net

http://www.revotechnik.com

You can also look into GIAC, or www.goapr.com they have software too, but REVO is so plug and play it is my definite option.

KRZ

rctboxsters 08-30-2005 12:54 PM

Thanks Airbox!

ralston racing 09-12-2005 12:26 PM

revo

I have a REVO chip in my 20th, I love it. Simple easy to use and mad HP. Never had a problem or thrown a CEL.
b

slogans7 09-12-2005 04:21 PM

Adam - how do they terminate the four hour free test? In other words, how do they unload or delete the upgrade?

gRed04 09-12-2005 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slogans7
Adam - how do they terminate the four hour free test? In other words, how do they unload or delete the upgrade?

Their site says it reverts to original settings by itself. No need to return to the dealer.

airbox1 09-13-2005 07:23 AM

i tried it out last week and it was simply amazing. it definitely give the car some more juice. however, there is one issue about this process that still worries me. Correct me if i wrong, but if the enhancement is to make the car run better on 91 octane by changing the fuel timing, etc., would this increase the risk of the car running leaner? If so, the engine will tend to knock more often, and because the engine has a built-in knock sensor, would the car's ECU correct itself and revert the engine back to its original configuration? Then, ultimately, we would pay a whole lot for nothing. Anyone?

nastyboxster 09-13-2005 07:26 PM

Airbox 1

Did you try the 4 hour demo software or did you buy it? If it was the demo, how much did they charge to install it and where did you go to install it?

airbox1 09-13-2005 10:29 PM

i tried it out for 5 hours. i am seriously thinking about getting the full version. it costs about $950 total. i live in the san diego area and the dealer is located in the LA area, so not too far of a drive for me.

KRZTACO 09-14-2005 08:13 AM

HI Airbox,

Are you talking about the Powerchip or the REVO Technik software?

For Revo, you can goto Hergesheimer Motorsports in Lake Forest (South Orange County) www.herg.net

The REVO software costs the same any authorized dealer you buy it from ($899)

KRZ

spgribben007 09-14-2005 08:39 AM

I'm in the process of having the trail version installed on my 01 Boxster. I talked to the authorized dealer in my area and it will cost me $45 for an installation fee and if I decide to purchase the product then they will install the software for free ($899 software).

airbox1 09-14-2005 08:47 AM

yes, i'm talking about revo. hey krzytaco, how long have u had it and how is it working out for u?

KRZTACO 09-14-2005 09:11 AM

I just did the free trial, liked it however the $800 is going towards having my new coil overs and alignment installed.

KRZ

airbox1 09-14-2005 09:34 AM

i'm still debating whether to get the GIAC or REVo software. Anybody have any suggestions?

Porschekid 09-14-2005 12:43 PM

They are pretty similar from what I hear. I think GIAC is the only option near me though so I can't get a trial run.

airbox1 09-14-2005 01:00 PM

well, if u decide to go with the GIAC, then go ahead and just get it. they have a 30-day money back guarantee. make sure this is the case at your GIAC dealer. therefore, if u don't like it, u can always come back and get more money back.

xavier405 09-15-2005 01:05 PM

I thought I had read a million posts elsewhere on this board that aftermarket mods and chips don't make that much of a difference. But here I read that you guys are feeling significant power upgrades.

Any dyno test or other data to go with the seat-of-the-pants method? Although don't get me wrong, I think seat of the pants is the MOST important criteria, you gotta feel happy with it. I'm just curious about the specs.

airbox1 09-16-2005 12:49 AM

oh definitely, u'll feel a difference once u drive off with the upgraded software. if u have a boxster, it'll feel like it's a boxster s. i just did mine and it cost me $968 total. it's well worth the money. oh, i went with revo technik.