986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   depressed clutch switch (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/35223-depressed-clutch-switch.html)

kwescott 05-01-2012 06:50 AM

depressed clutch switch

for those boxter/cayman owners out there that have not yet experienced a failure of subject switch, your time is coming.
Your car wont start and you are in for a tow job.
us survivalists out here have prepared a short wire jumper with 0.25 spade lugs on each end that easily replaces the crappy switch supplied by Porsche. The jumper will get you home and allow you to replace the switch with another crappy switch that will soon fail. Beware that if you have this jumper installed, you can start the car without depressing the clutch.
I have a 2010 boxter on its 3rd switch. All were warranty replacements but thats little comfort if you arent parked in a dealers lot when the switch fails.
Kermit

san rensho 05-01-2012 07:11 AM

This is one of the first mods I did to my car, eliminating the clutch nanny switch.

ppbon 05-01-2012 02:36 PM

Why not ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwescott (Post 288540)
for those boxter/cayman owners out there that have not yet experienced a failure of subject switch, your time is coming.
Your car wont start and you are in for a tow job.
us survivalists out here have prepared a short wire jumper with 0.25 spade lugs on each end that easily replaces the crappy switch supplied by Porsche. The jumper will get you home and allow you to replace the switch with another crappy switch that will soon fail. Beware that if you have this jumper installed, you can start the car without depressing the clutch.
I have a 2010 boxter on its 3rd switch. All were warranty replacements but thats little comfort if you arent parked in a dealers lot when the switch fails.
Kermit

... just eliminate it altogether.
That was the very first hack I performed on my car, the very same day I bought it, back in February '98.
The US/Canada is the only market that requires that switch.
RoW cars don't even have it installed.
That switch was the lawyer's legacy to the Audi issues back in the 80s.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

thstone 05-01-2012 09:01 PM

Too risky for me. Everyone is used to the clutch interlock by now and I worry that someone else (wife, teenage son, friend) will forget and turn the key with the car in gear and hit something. I keep a spare switch in my toolbox in the car for an easy swap if needed.

grubinski 06-12-2012 05:05 PM

Feh. If they're "used to the switch", they will put the clutch in. It won't even occur to them not to. No car they've ever driven will have started without the clutch in.

bar10dah 06-12-2012 05:12 PM

I'm "used to" parking the car in neutral and using the parking brake. When I picked my car up from the body shop a couple weeks ago, I started the car as I usually do. Clutch to the floor, foot on the brake, turn the key to start. As soon as the car started, released the key, released the clutch. Thank goodness I had my foot on the brake! Car violently lurched forward and stalled. Doubt the parking brake would have kept the car from lunging forward just a few short inches and damaged the lower portion of my front end against the parking block. And if it did, doubt the body shop would have claimed responsibility for that repair...

Burg Boxster 06-12-2012 05:33 PM

Picked up from the body shop, huh? Sounds like you've had previous temporary shorts between the seat and steering wheel ;)

j/k - don't get all worked up

Seriously though... regardless if I last parked my car or someone else did, I always make sure it's in neutral before releasing clutch pedal when started b/c I always make sure it's in either 1st or R when parked. Only exception is winter storage in my garage when I occasionally leave it in N and chock opposing wheels instead.

:)

fivepointnine 06-12-2012 06:19 PM

anyone have a link to the switch removal? I want it gone just so I dont have to hear the annoying click haha

bar10dah 06-12-2012 06:25 PM

Nope, lady talking on a cellphone in a Tahoe decided to drive her front right corner into my rear left corner, changing lanes into me, claiming she didn't see me. I said to her, what the hell? She said she didn't see me. I said how, I was right in front of you? She said, I don't know. Just another distracted driver on a cellphone...