Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2009, 06:08 PM   #1

Hello I'm new i have a question about the gas pedal

What's up guys I'm a new owner of a 1999 Porsche Boxster. I bought it from a privately owned dealership and so far it's been kind of problematic. I did however managed to take care of a lot of the dealer neglect that the porsche has recieved. I changed the oil (when i did it seems the dealer hadn't changed it in quite some time) Changed the oil filter, changing the air filter when it gets here, and a few minor touch up things.

When i brought my car back from the hobby shop I noticed that the pedal was super stiff and the pedal itself was a little wobly (i could move it side to side with my foot) I also noticed that if i wanted the car to accelerate faster than 1-2 mph i had to find the right spot for my foot to contact the little bar behind the pedal and even when i did i had to push quite hard. It was like it hit a snag and i was pushing it through the snag.

I took off the pedal and tried to lubricate the inside with the cord and the bars (i used CLP gun lubricant) and it seemed to loosen it up a little. I was able to push down on it without that much force. However i decided to pump the gas pedal a little bit to lube up the working parts and the pedal got stuck in the down position. I figured something had broken or come loose or the cord had snapped or something. I decided to turn on the motor with caution and it seems the pedal is now non functional. I can manipulate it anyway i want and it still doesn't do anything. I called the dealer and they said they are going to send a mechanic down here to my place to take a look he said it will be a quick fix (i hope so) I wonder if i need a new gas pedal assembly replacement? Anyone else have this problem what did you do?

bigborian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 04:11 AM   #2

Check the cable at the throttle body it may have come off...
catmanluge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:53 PM   #3
Mobile Porsche Surgeon

There is a ball and socketed that snaps together behind the gas pedal that sometime gets undone. Pull pedal forward and you can see it then snap back together. It should work a lot smoother.

http://www.mikesspecialtyautomotiveservice.com/index.html
Early 1996 / 97 Boxster, 130 k, De snorkeled, IMS, Top Speed Headers.
kashmir is offline   Reply With Quote