986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   pics of my magnaflow install on 04 s (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/3507-pics-my-magnaflow-install-04-s.html)

carmos 08-24-2005 07:30 PM

pics of my magnaflow install on 04 s

hi all some folks had asked for some pics of the magnaflow mufflers on my car so here they are..the cost was 550.00 including labor and stainless steal 3.5 inch tips...it sounds great ,i get that loud resonace beteween about 2600 2900 rpm...but after checking alot of the after market muffs have this issue..i love the way it sounds ,as do all of my friends that heard the before and after...

spine911 08-25-2005 07:16 AM

Where did you get it installed?....I also live in Anaheim, perhaps i can one day hear your exhaust mod. perform?

carmos 08-25-2005 07:48 AM

get together

hi spine911, muffler guys shop is huntington beach...i lve near the 57 and lincoln....i was thinking about going to that exotic car show \ get to together they have in newport on saturday morning...would you or anyone else like to go ......thanks

briansboxster 08-25-2005 07:52 AM

Any sound files?

I would be interested in how this set up sounds, do you have any sound files? I went out to Magnaflows website and they do not even have Porsche listed. Is Magnaflow approved to be used on Porsche like Fabspeed or GHL? Thanks.

carmos 08-25-2005 07:58 AM

hi briansboxster, i dont know if magnaflow is approved by porsche ,and sorry i dont have any sound files of the exhuast ..i have used there stuff in most of my other cars e.g. mercedes and fords...i love there sound and price...and straight through stainless steel exhuast looks pretty good....i don't have had any complaints in this car or any of my others with them.....and the muffler guy is really good so that also helps....

briansboxster 08-25-2005 08:09 AM

The reason

The reason I asked if it had been approved by Porsche is due to some aftermarket exhaust systems that take horsepower away from the car. The porsche works on back pressure and some aftermarket exhaust systems take away pressure thus loosing some performance? Did you check this out before you made this mod?

carmos 08-25-2005 08:51 AM

briansboxster, no i did not ..." the butt dyno" tells me there was no real diifernce in preformance just sound.... :D

KRZTACO 08-25-2005 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carmos
hi all some folks had asked for some pics of the magnaflow mufflers on my car so here they are..the cost was 550.00 including labor and stainless steal 3.5 inch tips...it sounds great ,i get that loud resonace beteween about 2600 2900 rpm...but after checking alot of the after market muffs have this issue..i love the way it sounds ,as do all of my friends that heard the before and after...

Sick, you need to come to the SoCal get together this weekend I want to hear it.

Thanks!

KRZ

carmos 08-25-2005 12:20 PM

hi KRZTACO, what socal get together are you thinking about and where is it going to be..thanks

sorry just read your other post....i will be threre.... :cool:

jrdiesel01 08-25-2005 12:53 PM

we can have a comparison...ghl & b&b headers.

hello folks 98 with ghl exhaust and b&b headers here, i also wonder what other variations of sound the boxster can put out and im curious to hear these personally although sundays are better for me...will post videos and pictures in near future....ciao

yellowbox 08-25-2005 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrdiesel01
hello folks 98 with ghl exhaust and b&b headers here, i also wonder what other variations of sound the boxster can put out and im curious to hear these personally although sundays are better for me...will post videos and pictures in near future....ciao

do you, or anyone else, know where I can get my GHL exhaust installed? I just got it a few days ago, but unsure where to take it yet. I don't want to go to any random muffler shops. Any recommendation not too far from 60/57 fwy?

Maybe I can get it installed on Friday and bring the car on Sat morning :o

carmos 08-25-2005 01:47 PM

hi yellowbox, the guy who did my install is a "random muffler shop" but have been going to him for a few years now and he is great and reasonable....the place is called pro muffler and brake...15142 beach blvd.. 714 897 1122...his name is gabriel ..tell him frank with the boxster sent you....hope this helps.. :)

KRZTACO 08-25-2005 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yellowbox
do you, or anyone else, know where I can get my GHL exhaust installed? I just got it a few days ago, but unsure where to take it yet. I don't want to go to any random muffler shops. Any recommendation not too far from 60/57 fwy?

Maybe I can get it installed on Friday and bring the car on Sat morning :o

GOTO: www.magnaflow.com

click on Proffesional Installers or Dealer Locator. You should be able to find a reputable shop there.

FMS Motorsports (Frank), San Bernardino
CarrTech, Kevin Mission Viejo

nastyboxster 08-25-2005 03:28 PM

Carmos

Any noticeable gains in performance with the new muffler at all?

briansboxster 08-26-2005 05:55 AM

Question about GHL & BB

Hey Yellowbox,

I have been thinking about getting the GHL exhaust and have heard great reviews. Is there a major difference with or without the B&B headers. I was told by a perfomance shop that there is only a 4hp gain with the headers and is it workth the $$? How is the resonance with the GHL exhaust. I have been told that the exhaust has set off alarms on vehicles just driving by them. I have heard some sound files on the GHL and they rock! I have looked at several different setups and GHL thus far has been rated the most radical. I am interested to see how Magnaflow compairs. If you hear his or compair let me know the difference. Thanks. :D

jrdiesel01 08-26-2005 01:44 PM

sounds and performance.

sounds[/B] the ghl exhaust and b&b headers combined have a low throaty sound in a loud fashion??. even during loud sound you can clearly hear the distinctive boxster engine sound while reving and cruising upto ~2600rpm after exhaust creates more great sound and decreases at ~2800rpm. while in idle or reving car sounds like 996 twin turbo!! or cruising at low rpm through residential streets. to sum it up you can control the sound with a push of the pedal and shift of the gear. setting off alarms i have not noticed. but the neigbors love it. ghl has great looks and saves weight its bout 40lbs lighter than stock.
performance i have not dyno tested car but noticed an (very needed) increase in throttle responce at all levels of rpm. lauch or on the run. feels more swift in traffic.
installation i would recommend speed gallery in studio city ca. w/sam tell him jr sent ya. (but wait) when i jacked the car up i noticed how easy it can be to install ghl and headers. yes the headers are straight "bolt on " also ghl
all you need is basic hand tools and liquid wrench. jack the car up and youll see.
overall love the sound of ghl and headers youll get noticed and increase in power and more looks. if you install it yourself save 500.00 in labor (100.00 for ghl)(400.00 for headers) and it is very worth it goes great with after market wheels and other modifications. ps we should get together for newport show saturday show on sept 17 @0600. this will give time to request permission from boss (home and work).

jrdiesel01 08-26-2005 10:16 PM

two left feet for automotive upgrades.

two left feet for automotive upgrades?..then your like me, earlier i posted take your ghl to speed gallery (100.00) for installation or do it your self but i think your local random muffler shop can istall for about 50.00 if that. but i would stay and watch them like a hawk. 100.00 at the speed gallery buys you peace of mind. see sam tell him jr sent ya.

00'Boxster 08-31-2005 09:55 AM

I read your post about the magna flow mufflers and decided to get it done to my Boxster. My local exhaust shop only charged $282 for parts and labor. I am supposed to get it done this afternoon. I will try and post a sound clip as well.

yellowbox 08-31-2005 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by briansboxster
Hey Yellowbox,

I have been thinking about getting the GHL exhaust and have heard great reviews. Is there a major difference with or without the B&B headers. I was told by a perfomance shop that there is only a 4hp gain with the headers and is it workth the $$? How is the resonance with the GHL exhaust. I have been told that the exhaust has set off alarms on vehicles just driving by them. I have heard some sound files on the GHL and they rock! I have looked at several different setups and GHL thus far has been rated the most radical. I am interested to see how Magnaflow compairs. If you hear his or compair let me know the difference. Thanks. :D

Yes, resonance is quite loud, but I like it. I set off my first car alarm in the parking garage today, so, :cheers:

I see more people turn their heads when I drive by, it used to be the color of my car, now I think is the sound :p

carmos 08-31-2005 05:39 PM

hi 00'Boxster, that sounds great.. are they s.s. magna flows and tips for that price? if so you got a great deal,more power to you..please post pics and sound clips if possible..carmos :cheers: