986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Patch of oil.... (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/35020-patch-oil.html)

recycledsixtie 04-20-2012 09:05 AM

Patch of oil....

Went out this morning to chk on my 2001 Boxster base(38k miles) and found a patch of oil 3feet by 2.5 feet under the right side of the engine. Engine oil level is up there, engine runs fine, power steering is good, brakes are okay, not spongy. Engine runs fine. Indy shop said that it was okay to drive to their shop which is what I did. No problems driving. I took it out yesterday and gave it a fairly hard drive in the country. Any idea what I can expect and what it could be? RMS seal leaking? I did not redline it either. Any ideas would be appreciated.:(

ekam 04-20-2012 09:25 AM

Sounds like RMS seal...

Rear Main Seal Kit:Porsche Parts & Porsche Accessories - Wholesale Porsche Parts & Tequipment - Cayman Panamera Cayenn

san rensho 04-20-2012 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by recycledsixtie (Post 287215)
Went out this morning to chk on my 2001 Boxster base(38k miles) and found a patch of oil 3feet by 2.5 feet under the right side of the engine. Engine oil level is up there, engine runs fine, power steering is good, brakes are okay, not spongy. Engine runs fine. Indy shop said that it was okay to drive to their shop which is what I did. No problems driving. I took it out yesterday and gave it a fairly hard drive in the country. Any idea what I can expect and what it could be? RMS seal leaking? I did not redline it either. Any ideas would be appreciated.:(

So what does the mechanic say?

recycledsixtie 04-20-2012 12:18 PM

I took it in this morning so don't expect a diagnosis from the mechanic until late this aft. This has been the busiest day for them this year so far so don't expect to have anything done today except a diagnosis. So if that happens, then I have the "luxury" of thinking of what is to be done next week. My PPI a year ago said minor oil/mist leak rear of engine and I got some $$$$ off the asking price. If it is the RMS , then I will likely get IMS, clutch done(I have already have a rubbery smell from the engine vents). I have to think of the positive side - it could have been the IMS let go but I have that covered with the IMS Guardian. Will update u when I get the info. I am already missing my "baby".

recycledsixtie 04-20-2012 03:14 PM

Well it's good news. Not the RMS but simply the sensor oil drain plug that was installed with my IMS Guardian. The engine oil was leaking thru the sleeve which encloses the sensor wires. Flat. 6 innovs. is sending me a replacement unit.

Mark_T 04-23-2012 04:55 AM

There's some irony for you. I wonder if this is the first case of the IMS guardian potentially being responsible for the destruction of an engine. Maybe you need an IMS Guardian Guardian.

Good thing you saw the pool of oil.

recycledsixtie 04-23-2012 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark_T (Post 287511)
There's some irony for you. I wonder if this is the first case of the IMS guardian potentially being responsible for the destruction of an engine. Maybe you need an IMS Guardian Guardian.

Good thing you saw the pool of oil.

I must admit I do like your sense of humor. At least u are not giving me a hard time unlike my wife. She understands the futility of my situation. Hopefully going to pick up the Black Box today with regular drain plug installed until I get sent a new sensor/pigtail plug from the US. In a few days it will arrive and then my indy shop will install the new one which I hope does not leak. I get a free IMSG plug but I get to pay for the labor! :)

Jake Raby 04-23-2012 11:11 AM

Your replacement MCD sensor will arrive tomorrow. We shipped it via UPS next day to get you back on the road ASAP.

ekam 04-23-2012 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark_T (Post 287511)
an IMS Guardian Guardian.

Did you not sign the non-disclosure form?

Eric G 04-23-2012 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake Raby (Post 287553)
Your replacement MCD sensor will arrive tomorrow. We shipped it via UPS next day to get you back on the road ASAP.

Nothing better the good customer service right there! Glad you found the problem and it was easily fixed.