986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   porter cable question (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/3499-porter-cable-question.html)

RandallNeighbour 08-23-2005 03:48 PM

porter cable question

I got my porter cable random orbital polisher today. It has the 4 inch counterweight on it and I will be using these 6.25 inch buffing pads:

http://www.sportscarcare.com/scc/product.asp?ItemID=lak-pp6

Do I need to install the larger 6 inch counterweight to use these pads, or will the 4 inch one I have on there now work?

donv 08-24-2005 09:38 AM

I have the same pads from the same source and I'm using the larger 6" counterweight. I was able to polish for several hours without getting numb hands, so IMHO that is the right combination. However, if you don't currently have the 6" on hand, I'd give it a try (off the car) with the 4" to see how it feels. I had the two weights from day 1 so I just started with the 6.

Curiously, my polisher (7424 model) originally came with a 5" counterweight installed, not a 4 as you mention.

RandallNeighbour 08-24-2005 11:30 AM

Um, yeah! It's got "5 inch counterweight" on it, not 4 inch. I'll swap it for the larger one when I use those pads.

I feel kinda bad... my wife said, "You ARE going to buff out my Honda before you work on the Boxster, aren't you?"

I replied, "Why of course! I will serve you selflessly by beautifying your car before I turn my attention to my garage queen and favorite money pit."

Little does she know that her car will be the experimental, PRACTICE car! That's the part I feel bad about. She has no idea her car will be the experiment.

Perfectlap 08-24-2005 11:53 AM

Squirt quick detailer on the pad before applying the wax.
tie a rubber band to hold the extension cord to the PC cord, keeps it from getting disconnected. Wash pads with SOnus Wunderwasche.
Claying before waxing will reduce swriling and scratching signficantly.

ALWAYS hold the PC by the handle.

RandallNeighbour 08-24-2005 12:10 PM

I was planning to do the following in the following sequence:

1. Wash car with dishwashing soap to remove all wax.
2. Clay the whole car and rewash with dishwashing soap.
3. Use Menzerna Intensive Polish and Yellow Cutting Pad to remove garage door paint from bumper (of our Honda) and remove heavy oxidation, swirls and acid rain water marks from the paint.
4. Use Menzerna Final Polish II with White Polishing Pad.
5. Use Klasse All in One by hand.
6. Use my carnauba wax to make it look even better.

This Honda is a 1997 model that's been left outside, not washed often, waxed three times to my knowledge (in total!) and abuses by the wife at every opportunity. It has tons of scrapes from who-knows-what all up and down it. Thought it would be a good car to start on.

Comments? Cautions?

Perfectlap 08-24-2005 04:59 PM

what no layering of SG before teh carnauaba?!
crazy talk!!!
try Klasse VLRP on the black plastic interior trim. Best product I've used so far.

RandallNeighbour 08-25-2005 07:22 AM

What's SG?

[BTW, the process above is the OVERKILL steps I'm doing on my wife's old Honda to learn how to do this on a car whose paint is shot anyway, not my Boxster.]

If you can talk me into layering SG on my Boxster, I'll certainly consider it.

KRZTACO 08-25-2005 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
This Honda is a 1997 model that's been left outside, not washed often, waxed three times to my knowledge (in total!) and abuses by the wife at every opportunity. It has tons of scrapes from who-knows-what all up and down it. Thought it would be a good car to start on.

Comments? Cautions?

Sounds like a plan, I will be waxing my wife's Black X3 soon with the same senario. I feel bad to waste such a nice car to be abused, I wanted to get her a Saturn becuase the sides and bumper are plastic. My wife has had her X3 for 4 months and already It needs to be re-waxed, and I look forward to using the cutting pad/Meguiars Medallion Paint Cleaner becuase I guess she thinks bug splatter that is baked into the hood on a black car is a good thing.

KRZ