Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2012, 04:56 PM   #1

HELP!!! Exhaust "U" Pipe Gap?!?!

Hey everyone...

For the past week I've been chasing down an exhaust leak on my project. I've narrowed it down to the clamps that connect the "U" pipes to the secondary cats. What I've found is that there is a 15mm gap between the "U" pipes and the secondary cats (see photo) even though the "U" pipe is pushed all the way into the muffler until it bottoms out.

The clamps have a notch or groove in it which, if the pipes do not meet, will allow the exhaust to escape thus causing the exhaust leak on both sides.

Is it normal for there to be such a large gap between these components? It seems that if there is, there will always be a leak due to the clamp design. I've tried to fight/adjust the exhaust and the secondary cats to make the "U" pipes align up with no luck.

It seems like the side of the "U" pipe that goes into the muffler needs to be cut shorter to make everything fit just right.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers

Mark

Appleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:06 PM   #2

Hmmm....

I did some searching on the web, and I noticed that replacement ones are perfectly round and dont have the grove or notch...I'm wondering if mine got overtightened somehow causing the inner material to bend???

Last edited by Appleguy; 04-28-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old 04-28-2012, 05:33 PM   #3

See if you can undo the clamp where the u pipe enters the muffler and try and push in a bit further.
dewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewolf View Post
See if you can undo the clamp where the u pipe enters the muffler and try and push in a bit further.
Thanks Dewolf, I did try that. I can get the "U" pipe to bottom out in the muffler and I still have the 15mm gap on the secondary cat end.

I'm thinking that the old clamps were tightened down too much causing for the notch in it. Everything I see online for replacement ones are perfectly round.

Cheers

Mark

Last edited by Appleguy; 04-28-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:56 PM   #5

Have you tried loosening the triangular 3 bolt clamp attaching the cat pipes to the headers?
When I fitted my cat delete pipe a few months ago, I really battled to attach the U pipe to the muffler with the triangular header clamp tightened. Once loosend, I could push the sleeve over the butted up pipes, nipped them up and then tighten up the 3 bolts reasonably easily.....
Old 04-28-2012, 10:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tinker View Post
Have you tried loosening the triangular 3 bolt clamp attaching the cat pipes to the headers?
When I fitted my cat delete pipe a few months ago, I really battled to attach the U pipe to the muffler with the triangular header clamp tightened. Once loosend, I could push the sleeve over the butted up pipes, nipped them up and then tighten up the 3 bolts reasonably easily.....
Hi Steve...
That is an EXCELLENT idea. I didn't actually try that. I'll give that a shot in the morning to see if it helps

Thanks!

Mark