986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Quick "De-snorkeling" quesiton (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/34820-quick-de-snorkeling-quesiton.html)

Mrmaddbrad 04-08-2012 09:19 AM

Quick "De-snorkeling" quesiton

10min. Boxster "de-snorkel" Hack! :: Car & Lifestyle Forum

So a ton of people on here talk about "De-Snorkeling" their air box. Seems pretty awesome. And as i have found, it is dyno proven. However; i see the "snorkel" has a filter like net on the bottom of it. is that to keep out water?

If you de-snorkel it, does more water get into the intake?

Bob O 04-08-2012 10:30 AM

Mine's been desnorked for 5 or 6 years. No issues with water, trash or anything else for that matter. Don't know about any increased hp or torque but the sound is certainly better especially at wot! :)

Kenny Boxster 04-08-2012 10:54 AM

I've desnorkled mine the day I bought the car. Just yanked the sucker out. No issues with water/debri for me. There was a confirmed dyno test a forum user did a while back on his S model and got 5 whp.

http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/9671-finally-dyno-charts-de-snorked-986s.html

Honestly I think it should be no problem if you don't throw cigarette butts out the window or wash your car and spray water directly in the air intake grill.

Kianfar 04-08-2012 11:59 AM

Wish there was a video of before and after. I'm not sold on the 5HP, but I'd be interested just for the sound.

Mrmaddbrad 04-08-2012 02:21 PM

Hmm, alright! Thanks guys! I mean I don't see why not to do it then!! So easy! And i mean, if waters not an issue, the sound alone is worth it! But 5 extra whp would also be awesome :P

Thanks again guys!!

Mrmaddbrad 04-08-2012 06:03 PM

Come to find out, when I pulled off my vent, i realized the previous owner had already de-snorkeled it! Thus the amazing sound :P

gomarlins3 04-08-2012 06:12 PM

I have been debating doing this.

Mrmaddbrad 04-08-2012 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gomarlins3 (Post 285666)
I have been debating doing this.

As far as I have found on here, there isn't much of a reason to NOT do it. If you want a little extra sound, and possible a few hp? Its great.

Honestly takes 5-10 minutes from start to finish and only a screw driver to do. Best bang-for-the-buck modification :P And if you dont like it, you can just as easily put it back in :P

Kianfar 04-08-2012 07:04 PM

Will removing the snorkle jeopardize the Miles Per Gallon on the car?

dewolf 04-08-2012 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kianfar (Post 285669)
Will removing the snorkle jeopardize the Miles Per Gallon on the car?

Yes, Because you will always want to be WOT just for the sound:D

AndyA6 04-09-2012 06:27 AM

I just de-snorked mine yesterday. It was easy to do. Actually I tried last year and that damn snorkel would not budge no matter how hard I pulled and wiggled. So I tried again and this time -on the first try- with really little effort that thing came right off..... go figure! I think the difference was that the car was warm and not stonecold like before.
Sound, is about the same. Power, hmmmm, maybe a bit but honestly not sure.
Also, I did not have the "cup", just the snorkel. The diameter on the inlet is somewhat smaller than at the airbox, I guess it is now just a little better.

Doing this will do no harm IMHO.

Later,
Andy

tonycarreon 04-09-2012 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kianfar (Post 285631)
Wish there was a video of before and after. I'm not sold on the 5HP, but I'd be interested just for the sound.

i actually posted a video last year of the before (with) and after (without)

put the camera behind the seats on the carpet above the engine...

boxster de snork - YouTube

Kianfar 04-09-2012 06:57 AM

^^ you are a good man

BoxsterSteve 04-09-2012 04:03 PM

I've read over the

10min. Boxster "de-snorkel" Hack! :: Car & Lifestyle Forum

link several times, the wording of how to remove the "blind" confounds me.

I guess I'm too chicken******************** to break something, I give up after removing the screw...

Help a brother out.

Kianfar 04-09-2012 04:21 PM

I have a Exhaust on my car, so I decided to keep it as is. Not going to mess with it. I guess I'm satisfied with the noise level of the vehicle for now.

pothole 04-09-2012 04:49 PM

I don't know if you've seen the air filter, but there's zero chance of a little debris or a water splash getting past that. Just make sure you change the air filter regularly and I'm sure you won't have a problem.

That said, I tried taking the snorkel out and to be honest the difference it makes is not terribly dramatic. I think people get a bit over excited by it.

gomarlins3 04-29-2012 07:54 AM

DONE!!!:dance::cool::D

Bobiam 04-29-2012 05:18 PM

I tried it. I thought it sounded like it had a hundred HP more than it's visual acceleration. And that resembled the big leaf vac they used for curb pickup in my town. Nope....didn't like it and put the thing back on.
Maybe sounds better with an S model.

Hey....different strokes for different folks!!!!!

Steve Tinker 04-29-2012 07:41 PM

I did the same as Bobiam - removed it twice and replaced it twice.
Yes, there's more induction sound, but bugger all improvement in performance according to my (very) sensitive butt dyno....
So the snorkel is back in place for good now - at least it can gulp in cool(er) air at the leading edge of the air vent.

Ghostrider 310 04-30-2012 01:34 AM

I took the little holy water cup obstructing the end of the cone off. Many of the cars of my youth had that same small to large cone on the air cleaner, figured they had to be onto something.