986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Fixing suspension problems (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/34692-fixing-suspension-problems.html)

silentfrosty 03-30-2012 04:47 PM

Fixing suspension problems

Just got back from my mechanic, which basically opened a can of worms when he started checking it out. I had no idea I had so many problems, but now I know why it is shaking at 60+

car is a '97 boxster 2.5L

He told me I needed new front strut rod bushings, but that they can only order the whole assys. Looking in my bentley book, I am only seeing bearings, no bushings, are these the same thing?

List of things that need replacing -

- Rack and pinion has a little bit of play (someone suggested buying a rebuilt one? which I found at pelican) (part # 996-347-011-07)
- Front sway bar links are shot (part # 996 343 069 03 ; 996 343 070 03)
- Front strut rod bushings (I think I can only get the whole arm unfortunately part # 996-341-043-06)
- 2 new front tires
- Left rear rim is bent (it's in the inner flat part of the rim, can only see it when spinning the wheel)

So, anyone have recommendations for places to get these items? I'm currently searching, but only coming up with a few places online (pelican and ebay for the most part)
Can anyone confirm I have the correct part #'s, and also on that topic, are there any books with a list of part numbers in it? I can't seem to find any in my bentley or 101projects books.

They gave me an estimate of right around $2200 not including a new rim, hopefully I can save some money and find some parts online and do some of it myself lol

LAP1DOUG 03-30-2012 05:09 PM

You might want to look at Vertex. They sell some reconditioned and new components. Also I believe Elephant Racing has some bushing inserts for sale.

Good luck.

I just checked - Vertex Auto has some rebuilt steering racks for about $450 with a $ 300 core charge. I don't know if this is a particularly good deal or not.

silentfrosty 03-30-2012 05:34 PM

Thanks for the site suggestion, they have some pretty good prices.

I think what I'm going to end up doing is replacing the drop links, strut rod bushings, front tires, (I'm not sure what to do about the one rim.. kinda screwed there)... basically everything except the rack/pinion (money issues).

Bala 03-31-2012 02:56 AM

Do it yourself and save the labor money for other parts that require attention. I just did the entire suspension front and back, wheel bearings, tie rods. Front struts have the bearing which i repacked with grease and seem fine. Your state may be different. From the parts you have posted above go with PP or Sunset. No rebuilt ones except the r&p assembly. Maybe a used one? FYI, i bought my rebuilt parts from Vertex - control arms, track rods etc.

Spinnaker 03-31-2012 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silentfrosty (Post 284615)
I'm not sure what to do about the one rim.. kinda screwed there

Do a search for wheel repair/straightening. Lots of places that can fix a bent rim if it isn't too bad. Most of the places around here charge $125 to fix a wheel. Otherwise, check with some of the Porsche dismantlers such as Oklahoma Foreign, and Los Angles Dismantler, for a used rim.

silentfrosty 03-31-2012 06:52 PM

Put it up on the rack today and checked it out. I couldn't feel any play in the steering rack, so they must of tried something that I didn't.

I was wrong about the front strut rod bushings, I misunderstood the mechanic. The part that I need to replace is the bushing in the 'diagonal control arm' (according to my bentley book). The mechanic and auto parts calls it a 'strut rod arm' though which is where I got confused.
The bushing circled in red is the one needing replacement

Finally found the part number for the whole arm - 996-341-043-06
Is it possible to just replace the bushing, or does the whole arm need to be replaced?

http://i2.lulzimg.com/c0c050f1d2.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bala (Post 284651)
Do it yourself and save the labor money for other parts that require attention.

Yeah, I am planning on doing it all myself except for the tires. I've done all these repairs on other vehicles, including a rack/pinion, and from reading, I'm confident I can do them, once I get the money for the parts that is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spinnaker (Post 284698)
Do a search for wheel repair/straightening. Lots of places that can fix a bent rim if it isn't too bad.

The bent rim isn't too bad, I must of hit a curb at some point, it's not on the edge of the rim but in the middle, I can see it only when spinning the tire.

Bala 04-01-2012 04:50 AM

Replace the whole arm. If you want to save then rebuilt would an option. I got all four lower, control and track for under one k from vertex. Original parts with rebuilt bushings. You would be spending some money on tools to just replace nushimgs imo. Not to mention the frustration.

silentfrosty 04-01-2012 05:27 AM

Good call with vertex, they're the cheapest with the rebuilt arms, I'll probably end up going with them and getting at least the fronts replaced.

BYprodriver 04-02-2012 09:02 AM

If you want to see how much the suspension etc is contributing to the 60mph+ ride disturbance & how much is caused by front tires & rear wheel. 1st buy new front tires be sure they have the word Michelin on the tire & have them properly balanced. 2nd mount bent wheel on right rear then drive car to check for any vibrations. Don't waste money on wheel alignment until after this evaluation. Then decide how to precede.

P.S. I am assuming your front tires are worn out now.

Jittsl 04-05-2012 11:33 PM

If you are patient you will find a replacement wheel on eBay. They range in price from $100 - $300. Obviously I would wait for the cheaper ones.

Sumflow 04-07-2012 09:57 PM

Craigslist

You might try Craigslist for the rim and tyre.