986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Gearbox whine? (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/3441-gearbox-whine.html)

socratic 08-17-2005 01:21 PM

Gearbox whine?

Gee this is my 2nd noise related thread...

I'm hearing a gearbox whine when the car is in gear (any gear) and propelling the car forward. The noise diminishes when the engine is no longer providing forward thrust (but still in gear). When I push in the clutch, the noise stops (even if car is still in gear).

I noticed it today because some rain has dictated some top-up driving. I've been driving it with the top down for like 2 months and so the whine may have been there but masked by the road noise when driving top-less.

Anyone know what this could be?

deliriousga 08-17-2005 05:38 PM

What's the YM, mileage and model type ('S' or no)?

Sounds like the release bearing to me, but sounds can be hard to determine where they are really coming from.

If your mileage is in the >50K range it may be time for a clutch job. :(

socratic 08-17-2005 06:42 PM

Darn. It was the WORST CASE SCENARIO!

Yes, it was a FALSE ALARM and I POSTED IT FOR ALL THE WORLD TO SEE THAT I AM A BOOB... (i.e. my mistake)... :o

A dealer tech listened to it and said it was normal.

It's simply the sound of a Boxster's engine between 2900 and 3900 rpm...

I guess with all the top down driving, I forgot that it made this whine.

And I even posted the wrong symptoms. i.e., it makes the same whine regardless of whether or not the engine is providing forward thrust.

The reason that pushing in the clutch stopped the noise was that I also let off the gas and the engine RPMs fell out of the 2900-3900 range.

Very embarassing.

It's most noticeable at about between 2900 and 3900 rpm. If others could say their Boxsters do the same thing it might make me feel better.

Sorry for raising a false alarm.

Brucelee 08-18-2005 06:35 AM

No, the worst case scenario would have been if you needed a new engine or trans.

This post was fine, glad this was a no-cost visit to Porsche.

Good luck!

:cheers:

deliriousga 08-18-2005 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brucelee
No, the worst case scenario would have been if you needed a new engine or trans.

This post was fine, glad this was a no-cost visit to Porsche.

Good luck!

:cheers:

AMEN! A false alarm is better than any other kind that costs you $$$. Glad to hear it's ok! :cheers:

Btw, if you want to hear all kinds of freaky sounds, drive with the engine cover off some time. It breathes every time you push the clutch pedal. :confused: That sucker is really well insulated to hide the engine sounds.