Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2012, 03:02 PM   #1
midlifechrisis

rear fog light does not work on right

I have changed the bulbs, even flipped them from one side to the other. The fuse is dine, and it is not the bulb. Has to be the socket? Can you order a new plug assembly? They seem pretty easy to take out. I tested the plug, and I am sure there is voltage to each wire coming into the assembly . I hate to take it to porsche dealer for $100+ /hour for something I could swap out in 5 minutes.
any suggestion on where to source one?
Oh and on driver' side the parking lights don't work front or back

Last edited by Drphil; 03-15-2012 at 07:44 PM. Reason: spelling correction
Drphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
midlifechrisis

Update. #4a fuse was bad, that took care of the side left marker/parking lights. Rear right fig light still no good
Old 03-15-2012, 04:34 PM   #3
Porscheectomy

It's supposed to be that way. Read your owners manual.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:41 PM   #4
midlifechrisis

Question fog light

I don't see anywhere in the owners manual that says the right rear fog light should not work? I am not sure you understood the post. I was saying the one issue was a fuse and was resolved, however the I have checked and the fuses that control the fear fogs are good and so are the bulbs, so I think it could be the light socket housing that has a bad connection in it?
Old 03-15-2012, 07:45 PM   #5

No it really is supposed to be that way. Only one rear light comes on.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:44 AM   #6

Been there, been confused, been educated and attained nirvana!

NO gog er i mean fog light on the right. Only on left.
2000 Boxster S 3.2L
1990 Land Rover Defender 6x6
Bala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:08 AM   #7

There is one fog light so that following drivers will not confuse the fog light with brake lights. This per EU regulations is what I've always read and makes sense. Every time I hear of a sandstorm or fog chain pileup I think that such lights might be a good idea.

The inside of the lights even including bulbs are the same perhaps so they can use the same parts in LHD and RHD cars?
mikefocke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:08 AM   #8

Again with the fog light question.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:55 AM   #9
midlifechrisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bala View Post
Been there, been confused, been educated and attained nirvana!

NO gog er i mean fog light on the right. Only on left.
got it.. obviously i'm not the first to think this.

I have a jaguar- rear fog lights both sides, i had a Saab 900s turbo convertible, had rear fogs as well., so this is new to me, and i appreciate suggestion of owner's manual, i had been thru it but missed that somehow.

I was once pulled over by a deputy sherrif - i was in the 2004 jag, i had the front and rear fogs on- he said my brake lights must be stuck on- i said i do not think so, may i get out and look, he says sure, i look and see its the fogs he is referring to, so i tell him i will test the brake, and show him the brakes are fine it is a fog light- he says" ive never heard of that before , so i tell him all the cars i know that have them, - but thanks for being concerned , if it had been what he thought, i would have been glad to know, how else would you know, see you later, he says wait, i have to give you a warning!!! i say, for what? he says he has to because he already called it in , so then i get a little perterbed and ask why i would get a warning to fix something that was not broken, maybe i should give him one for jumping to conclusions!! he did not like that, but he still insisted,. I told him if he gave me one he better write on it exactly what the thought and what it was., - and i took it to his supervisor who i happen to know,-
small town-- he got a slap on the wrist for being a idiot and had to sent a written appology - now you dont see that too often.

now i can just see being pulled over for having one fog light not 2, and trying to explain that "officer, that is the way it is supposed to be" just wait- it will happen.
thanks for the help.

now i hve to go and fix my broken ignition switch
Old 03-16-2012, 01:43 PM   #10

Page 69 of the owners manual (in mine anyway) describes the front fog lights (plural) and the rear fog light (singular).

I know, you're thinking to yourself "How on earth could I have missed something that obvious?"

It has been covered many times in the forum though. In fact just about everything has been covered in this forum. It's always a good idea to do a quick search before posting a question.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:36 PM   #11

Garage
Just dont use the rear "defrogger' lights.
Ocean Blue Metallic/Savannah Beige | Tiptronic | Custom Rear Spoiler | 17" Turbo twist | Red Brembo Calipers | GAHH Top w/Glass Window | Tinted Windows | Cruise Control | Leather Interior | Heated Seats | Color Wheel Caps | Traction Control | Debadged
John99Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:04 PM   #12

I converted my rear fog lights into normal running light on both my Boxsters. Much better rear lights for tired drivers to see me.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by John99Boxster View Post
Just dont use the rear "defrogger' lights.
HA HA ! John99 is back and feeling better !!!! Good to have you back on the forum. Stay well. MAX
milliemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:17 PM   #14

Garage
With all this talk of fog lights, does anyone have interest in making them both light up? I actually read about a guy who had both his light up on his 90s era boxster, which proved useful for tricking dangerous tailgaters from backing off.
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:40 PM   #15
midlifechrisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho Red Rocket 3 View Post
I converted my rear fog lights into normal running light on both my Boxsters. Much better rear lights for tired drivers to see me.
Do tell how. Sounds like more are interested in how this is done.
Old 03-17-2012, 01:08 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho Red Rocket 3 View Post
I've converted my rear fog lights to signal lights. Looks and functions much better to me.

SF-Rockster is offline   Reply With Quote