Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2012, 04:52 AM   #1

Garage
Suspension Issues

Hi Folks,
New to the forum and new to the Porsche community.

I purchased a 2000 Boxster in December and I'm thinking I need a new suspension. I had a pre-purchase car inspection done and nothing was mentioned about the suspension having any issues. It had 26000 miles on it, so it did a lot of sitting with the previous owner. I guess they didn't want to drive it in the lovely Minnesota winters

Anyway, when I'm driving and hit the slightest bump in the road the rear end sways pretty significantly. I'm thinking (sure) it's a strut/suspension issue. Thoughts on what the issue could be? Also, if I'm going to replace the suspension, recommendations on suspension upgrades?

Thanks,

Chris

1stPorsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:16 AM   #2

Hello!
The boxed-roadster (boxster) is a pretty small car, you will feel the swaying so much more than a heavy car so don't panic yet. However you will often hear a few saying that the Boxster is better than average in this regard, so perhaps you got lucky there. Cool little car, you'll enjoy your summer mate

Part diagrams of what could possibly be your issue (e.g. anything!). Nothing technical tho

Boxster 986 Complete Suspension Overhaul

Struts gone wrong will make your rear bounce up/down for no important reasons, and the front will dive when braking if the front struts are toast. Springs are cheap so change those with struts normally. Swaying is control-arms and sway bar bushings related I would say but only a good'ol porche mechanic with muscles and a good bar can tell you.

Just for fun.... it cost a good $3,000 to get a full restoration done on the Porsche 986 (suspension & handling). Very fun... as in new car fun

madmods is offline   Reply With Quote