Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2012, 09:06 AM   #1

iPod adaptor

I have just purchased a 2004 S with up-graded Bose sound system (no navigation or changer) and am trying to find a way to connect an iPod. Suggestions?

Thanks,

dg

thelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:16 AM   #2

Garage
Is it a Becker radio ?
Old 03-03-2012, 09:52 AM   #3

I have no idea. It is whatever Porsche used under the Bose name in 2004. How would I tell if it is a Becker?

dg
thelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:14 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelake View Post
I have no idea. It is whatever Porsche used under the Bose name in 2004. How would I tell if it is a Becker?
Does it say CDR-220 or CDR-23 on the unit?

Google those models and hit images link, you'll see what the look like.
2003S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:24 AM   #5

I have a 2004 Boxster with the premium Bose sound system as well. The car came with a Becker CDR-23, which left me with very few options.
  1. Install a Dension Gateway. This is a neat device that I hear provides excellent sound quality. You can Google Dension Gateway 500 to see where to buy them and some DIY install instructions on various forums. The downside is that if you don't already have a CD changer, you have to have the CD changer option enabled by the dealer. The Porsche dealer nearby wanted $135 just to "try". I hate giving those guys money. My independent Porsche mechanic said he couldn't do it without the proper lock codes and recommended the dealer.
  2. Replace your entire audio system (including speakers and amp). Expensive and it seems like a waste to me, but I have a friend who did this. I haven't verified how much of the existing audio system actually can be reused, but I heard none of it.
  3. Get an FM Transmitter, something like this: Newegg.com - MOTOROLA T505 Bluetooth In-Car Speakerphone with Digital FM Transmitter Unfortunately, sound quality isn't very good.

I personnally think the the Dension option is the way to go, but havent pulled the trigger yet.
blk986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:17 AM   #6

Garage
Scosche also makes an FM modulator that you tie into the antenna directly, supposedly increasing quality, and reducing interference from othe FM sources. Haven't tried myself, but the price is right:

Scosche - Universal FM Modulator for Apple® iPod® - FMMOD02

2003S is offline   Reply With Quote