Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2012, 06:44 AM   #1

another onboard temp display thread...

Apparently search isn't my friend today.

I recall seeing a thread with screen caps from a piwis or pst2 display showing the screens you go to to activate the OBC, but I can't find it now.

I need it because I have twice gone to the dealership to ask about having this done and both the service tech and mechanic looked at me like I'm babbling crazy talk and tell me it can't be done.

I have the hack instructions but I would also lke to go back armed with pictures of screen caps of their own machine showing them that, yes in fact, it can be done, and here's how.

I know, if I had a newer model durametric with ver.6 software I would do it myself but I don't yet. The car is a 99 and it has the sensor in the pass side grill.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:28 AM   #2

You also need to recognize that PCNA got their collective shorts in a bunch over post-delivery activation of the OBC system in these cars some years back because they did not get any financial benefit (e.g.: They did not get to gouge you for it as an option), and have warned dealers against activating them. Some dealers chose to ignore this dictum, but many do not and play ignorant when asked to do one.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:18 AM   #3

Using the Porsche System Tester 2, follow these steps:

1. Go under the "instruments" heading
2. Go to "modify coding"
3. Specify "with On-Board Computer"
4. Press the F8 key to commit the changes
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:52 AM   #4

Garage
Thanks for the info!

So, to be clear, will the Durametric with the latest software work? Or do you still have to talk to the dealer?
Old 06-08-2012, 06:21 AM   #5

Thanks Mike. Exactly the info I was looking for.

ccjazz - you are supposed to be able to do this with ver 6 Durametric, but I have heard some say that it didn't work for them. The way I understand it, it works on the older cars (99, 00) without first installing the lever or a switch and that will give you ambient temp display only. But, on the newer 986's (01 - 04), you need to install the lever first before it will give you a display. That's if I'm understanding what I have been reading correctly.

Search 'OBC hack' and, after reading all the threads, you'll probably be just as thoroughly confused as I am.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:36 AM   #6

Garage
Hah! Thanks Mark, a bit more investigation required I guess.

For me this would be a 'nice to have' but not 'need'. Not really interested in tearing my steering column apart