Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2005, 09:23 PM   #1

Exclamation 19"hre ghl headers & top problem HELP!

i have a 98 boxster that i bought with 9k miles and now has 30k miles i know this cars history and its clean. the top worked perfect..when i took ownership i placed the hard top on it and has not been removed since. that was 3 years ago, i have never drove the car with the rag top up or down always with hard top. i tried to put the top up to close position and the lid angled upward and stopped about a half inch later. yes a half inch. creating a gap between truck and third break light.
also inward at thee edges near door. i took it to dealer right away and they said 125.00 to diagnose. but also had to force lid open there fore probly causing more damage such as breaking hinges shocks and transmission to top and thats just to open lid to diagnose previous problem. that is the only way" cant manually open. the only option is from underneith the car removing trans. motor and all at about 10 hrs of labor... not really an option. im going to try to jiggle lever and switch tommorrow see if that helps all i want is for it to close the gap atleast.

does anyone know how i can open lid manually or have any idea of what caused this? what i can do to fix? to close securely? my convertible light is on also.

help help help

i spent tons of $$$$$ on 19" hre's ghl, b& b headers bumper and skirts only to have this happen. i didnt think i would ever have a problem.

i will post pictures when i done with it bout a month.

i appreciate any help thanks alot.

jrdiesel01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 10:20 PM   #2

I can't really offer any advice, but how come you "never" removed the hardtop and enjoyed the sun and wind? Do you wanna convert the Boxster as a full time coupe?
yellowbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 03:07 AM   #3

I had a similar problem with my hood. One of the retaining cables had snapped, and one of the hood operating arms got bent in the process. In your manual you will find instructions on how to manually lower the hood again. It involves unhooking the ball joints under the tonneau cover. Removing the engine from below sounds extreme....
Good luck.
aglsteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 12:50 PM   #4

not enough room

the convertible top hood is only 1/2 inch open this is why it has to be forced open thanks any more advise

jrdiesel01 is offline   Reply With Quote